Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:30pm
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring or not a ring (Read 8024 times)
Oggie
Trade Member

now't for a pound and
ow't for a laugh

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Ring or not a ring
Apr 18th, 2004, 12:29pm

Coverting 4 bed cottage into self catering to accomodate 3 en-suites all with 8.5Kw power showers
Should they be individually wired&tripped or can it be serviced from one one ring circuit ???

Oggie
Thank User For This Post WWW 73207955 chilliewillie_uk bmswpyoung  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Re: Ring or not a ring
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2004, 12:33pm

each shower need's to be wired in it's own circuit Tongue

each with it's own mcb but you can protect them all with 1 rcd (not required but definetely reccomended)

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Oggie
Trade Member

now't for a pound and
ow't for a laugh

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2004, 1:08pm

Cheers Bud Roll Eyes

Oggie
Thank User For This Post WWW 73207955 chilliewillie_uk bmswpyoung  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2004, 1:57pm

you want a big supply in that house with all those showers

a 125A single phase might be sufficant but it's pushing it if much else is on at the same time as the showers and whatever people say about diversity i can easilly imagine all 3 being used at once

also very few boards seem to come with isolators for more than 100A

i would say if you have no electirc heating in the place you are probablly ok with a 125A single phase which i would henly block out into 2 CUs

one single load 2 way with a 80A rcd running 2 showers
the other split load with a 100A isolator and a 80A rcd running 1 shower and everything else

if you have electric heating you will most likely need a 3 phase 100A. it is probablly best to terminate to 3 seperate single phase split load cus as split load 3 phase boards seem nonexistant.

you should aim to blanace the load accross phases as well as possible but should aviod haveing different phases in the same room

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2004, 5:01pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1082287771/0#3 date=1082293064]you want a big supply in that house with all those showers

a 125A single phase might be sufficant but it's pushing it if much else is on at the same time as the showers and whatever people say about diversity i can easilly imagine all 3 being used at once

also very few boards seem to come with isolators for more than 100A

i would say if you have no electirc heating in the place you are probablly ok with a 125A single phase which i would henly block out into 2 CUs

one single load 2 way with a 80A rcd running 2 showers
the other split load with a 100A isolator and a 80A rcd running 1 shower and everything else

if you have electric heating you will most likely need a 3 phase 100A. it is probablly best to terminate to 3 seperate single phase split load cus as split load 3 phase boards seem nonexistant.

you should aim to blanace the load accross phases as well as possible but should aviod haveing different phases in the same room [/quote]

it's best not to consider 125A, because 100A is the norm, and i don't think you can apply diversity to shower's. might need some more consideration tho, if you still plan to run 3 of these electric showers, i would personaly get 8.5KW-9KW models maxium!

IP Logged

Tallow_Nob
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2004, 5:34pm

With the greatest of respect and IMHO someone who knows so little about the requirements of fitting/suppling showers should not really be getting involved in it.
It's too dangerous an area for someone who has to ask about "rings" and showers.
Getting a bit of advice from a forum is hardly gonna make a safe job.
I realise this may upset certain people - but it's my opinion and I mean no offence (- as you all know I do know how to offend)
I never give advice freely to "amatuer sparks"  just as I would never seek advice from my various pals who are Corgi registered about installing gas myself.
Yes I dabble with other trades - but rarely for gain and if I feel I cannot perform the task aswell as another trade can then I would not attempt it.
I would certainly be too embarassed to ask somebody about a plumbing job for instance when I was so far of the mark on my interpretation of the job. I'd expect to be laughed at and told to fook right off.
Handing out advice on matters like fitting showers to people who clearly are in a little over their heads is a tad irresponsible - it only encourages the belief that the sparking game is a piece of piss - and what about the testing of the job?

I await your feedback....

TN

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2004, 5:51pm

I have to agree wit TN here. This has been a long drawn out subject over at SF and my opinion is that instant heating shower units should only be fitted by professionals. I would NOT have one in my house, thats how dangerous I think they are - one short of the USA Electric Chair only worse with the Elevctric Chair ya aint soaking wet (other the through persperation/fear maybe).

Is it not correct that the regs recently (ish) insisted on a Zs of 0.2 Ohms or less on these showers?

Sorry like TN I am not insulting anyones intelligence, nor abusing (I save all that for Chubby!), nor under-estimating your skills - if you think you can do it safely then go ahead.

Ray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2004, 6:20pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1082287771/0#6 date=1082307104]I have to agree wit TN here. This has been a long drawn out subject over at SF and my opinion is that instant heating shower units should only be fitted by professionals. I would NOT have one in my house, thats how dangerous I think they are - one short of the USA Electric Chair only worse with the Elevctric Chair ya aint soaking wet (other the through persperation/fear maybe).

Is it not correct that the regs recently (ish) insisted on a Zs of 0.2 Ohms or less on these showers?

Sorry like TN I am not insulting anyones intelligence, nor abusing (I save all that for Chubby!), nor under-estimating your skills - if you think you can do it safely then go ahead.

Ray
[/quote]

I think that view was put forward well with regard to showers, and most likely its best that oggie leaves the shower to some one else to sort out, with regard to chubby, hes banned from this forum isnt he?!?!
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2004, 6:20pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2004, 6:43pm

I hope so, else I am going into retirement (now I have said thnat Admin will let him in!!

I would be interested on G20's view on these showers, he's smart guy.

I am really think that they should not be available to Joe Soap public at all... but still... (not that anyone here is Joe Soap).

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2004, 7:10pm

your probebly right RR, if they were just sold to trade im sure there would be few problems, btw where is G20 ive noticed hes not been around  ???
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2004, 7:10pm by LSpark »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print