Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:07pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sliding Glass Doors (Read 7208 times)
Sean_Delere
GDPR opt-out

Sliding Glass Doors
Apr 20th, 2004, 12:05pm

Hi All,

I've been trying to find sliding door mechanisms for 6mm glass doors for a jewellery display cabinet.

So far I have only found Hendersons Zenith range ( www.pchenderson.com/pages/content.php?id=100 ) and Safekers ( www.tsaveker.co.uk )

Doea anyone know of any alternative suppliers?

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Sliding Glass Doors
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2004, 5:34pm

Nothing wrong with the Henderson gear, I've used it before. What is it you don't like?

If the doors aren't too big you could use plastic door channels which sit in a groove cut in the top and bottom of the cabinet carcase, these are also a lot cheaper and you hardly see them. Have a look at Isacc Lord's web site under cabinet fittings (it's a bit slow)

www.isaaclord.com

Jason

IP Logged

Sean_Delere
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2004, 1:39pm

This is the first time I will have used any sliding door gear so I was unsure what was on the market.

I don't have anything against the Henderon gear apart from the fact that they never replied to my email and their website is more expensive than buying it elsewhere.

Have you had any experience of making glazed cabinets as I was wondering on the best way of fixing none sliding glass panels.

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2004, 5:55pm

A lot depends on the size of the doors if they are not too big the palstic channels are fine , once they start to get bigger and heavier then a roller system is easier. How often will the cabinet be opened? Will you need to lock the doors?

Another thing to consider is dust. Any form of sliding door will have a gap of at least 3mm between the doors.
For my model display cabinet shown below I used doors with rubber seals to keep the dust out, there is also a strip light at the top of each side.

The video cabinet I made for a client recently uses the plastic channels from Isaac Lord with black tinted glass. The larger display unit has glass doors hinged on Blum glass door hinges.

As for side or fixed panels you can route a groove in the back, top & bottom and trap the glass on assembly or make the cabinet with rebated frames and glaze from inside. I will scan a photo of the former and post it later.

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/display.jpg

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/pp2.jpg

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/pp1.jpg

Let me know if there are any other queries
Jason

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2004, 6:31pm

Jason, I see you have a model there that made me almost weep once. The Scots Grey. I had taken 18 months making it as perfect as possible & had it on the landing window sill for show. When my wife was gravely ill she had a home help in doing the housework. I kept finding bits missing off my model. One week I was there & watched what she was doing. She was grabbing it firmly & moving it to dust the window then crashed it back in its original position. When I told her it had takes 18 months to make she said "I thought it was just a toy".
All the belts were broken, the pistol missing & the horses tail had disappeared. I put it away in a box & havent touched it since. Grrrrrrrr

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2004, 8:41pm

Here's the one with the fixed side panel, let into a groove in the melamine faced carcase and painted tulipwood corner post. the hinges just fix to the glass door with grub screws.

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/alison.jpg

Dewy, now you know why I keep mine locked away.

Jason

IP Logged

Sean_Delere
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2004, 10:40am

I hope my cabinets turn out half as good as yours did!

I am making two each of two different style cabinets.

One will be 2m tall 800 x 600mm with fixed glass at the front and doors at the back to gain access.

I am making it in two cubes (one on top of the other) and the top one will have a turntable built into the base.

I have made one of the bottom of the two cubes (all screwed so it can be taken apart and reasembled in the shop) and was thinking of fitting a bead inside the opening, putting the 6mm toughened glass in then fitting another bead to hold it in place. Finally I would fit a trim round the edge to hide everything.

http://echonav.users.btopenworld.com/Jewel/images/Cabinet.JPG

The second unit will be 2m tall 1000x250 and have sliding doors for the front.

I think I will be using the Henderson zenith sliders for this and realise the bottom will need a lot of strength to support the doors. I will be building this unit later in the week so I'll post a photo of that too.

Sean

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2004, 5:39pm

Looking good so far

As you have made it so it can be taken apart why not run a 6mm wide x 6mm groove set back 6mm all the way round the inside front and set the glass into this.

Just remember that sliding doors always work better if the height of each door is less than the width!

Keep us posted

Jason

IP Logged

Sean_Delere
GDPR opt-out

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2004, 8:49am

I was initially thinking of of setting the glass in a rebate but was worried about removing some of the strength from the 18mm MDF. It would look a lot neater though.

Unfortunately the sliding glass doors will have to be taller than they are wide due to the space the cabinets have to fit in. They will be about 1700x500mm and have decided to do away with a recessed plynth so I can put plenty of support under the bottom runner.

I have bought the MDF to make the unit so should be able to let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Sean

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print