Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:56am
Quote: Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
House Plaque (Read 5471 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

House Plaque
Apr 23rd, 2004, 3:03pm

I'm thinking about making a house plaque for the front of our house, and maybe use a router and templates to carve out the number (or name).

What sort of wood would be suitable for our weather conditions in the UK, and what additional finishing would be required?

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: House Plaque
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 7:01pm

A friend of mine made a similar plaque but has moved so I can't ask him what wood he used.
It was cut from a log at an angle so it was elliptical with the bark left on. He carved the name then painted the name black. When the paint dried he sanded the face to remove stray paint. He finished it with a high gloss polyeurethane to keep the weather out.
He must have hand carved it because it was done in an Old English font.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 7:10pm

One way to engrave the letters that I have used on a couple of garden benches is to print out what you want with a computer then glue this to the surface of the sign. Trace round the edge with a sharp knife to prevent tearout then cut out the main area with a 3mm routerbit set about 3mm deep freehand to almost touch the line then clean up with a chisel. Sand to remove the paper & glue. Paint as above.

Oak would be your best bet although yew looks good cut on the angle but may split as it dries.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 7:15pm

jasonB

Ive sent you a personal message, have you had it??

Cheers mate

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2004, 7:31pm

I have now, reply sent

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Charlie Farley
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2004, 7:30pm

You are spot on Jason!

Thats exactly how it's done but do not do all of the cut in one go - Print several and take a bit at a time remembering to put some index points on the timber and the templates so each template lines up exactly.

Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Charlie Farley
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2004, 7:33pm

Iroko is good as well but is is resinous.  Treat with an oil to get round this but looks great

Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2004, 9:41pm

I have made a few house signs in the past with the router and find this to be the best and most accurate way. As has been already mentioned print out the letters or numbers from the computer and stick them to the wood. Score the outline with a modelling knife and then with a very small cutter in the router take small cuts around the outline. I find that holding the router by the base and not the handles gives more control of it too. Take shallow cuts to the required depth instead of one or two big cuts. Once the outline depth has been reached use a bigger cutter to remove the bulk of the waste. When all the cutting has been done use a chisel vertical to scrape the surrounding base flat and give a smooth appearance. Finish by sanding off the paper templates and use the finish of your choice. Good luck with your project. Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2004, 10:30pm

My father made me a plaque with our name&house number on, it duly hung with pride for 6/7yrs,i think he made it from black mahogany,last year we moved house and bought it with us,sadly can not hang it as number not same Sad still it has great memories of my dear old dad Smiley

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print