Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:19pm
Quote: If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood Occupations - NVQ2 (Read 9187 times)
Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Wood Occupations - NVQ2
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:06am

Hi all,

Just filled the paperwork in for enrolment on "Wood Occupations" course at local college.... "Wood Occupations" LOL! Guess they meant joinery:p

Anyway, I just wanted to ask if I'm doing the right thing here with a view to possibly becoming trade in the future and if not any advice would be most welcomed.

Basically, I don't want to waste my time (or for that matter anybody else's time) by committing to a course that is inappropriate, especially when it's 2 days a week for a year to gain NVQ Level 2.

Any suggestions? Mike.

PS Does NVQ stand for "Not Very Qualified"? TeeHee!!!

Insert amusing text here ->
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Wood Occupations - NVQ2
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2004, 12:20am

YES lol

You should get the real wood experts ansering you shortly.
I refer to Matt (WOLF) & Keith (woodsmith)
As far as I am concerned, learning to work with wood is never a waste of time regardless of the outcome. What I learned at school 40 plus years ago is still with me now even though I now use power tools instead of doing everything by hand. The hand made work still has a special meaning to me.
Wood must have some strange effect on people. You seldom see a miserable carpenter.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:35am

Doc, I assume you are already in the industry as I understand that to enrole on this course;

"You will need to be in Employment within the Construction Industry working at a site or Bench Carpentry and Joinery. Prospective students must apply through CITB and meet their criteria."

If you want to become a joiner then you really need to become qualified. I am sure that in the future it will become increasingly dificult to obtain work without the necessary qualifications, and to get site work and insurance will be impossible, so I would definately go for it.

As Dewy wrote "learning to work with wood is never a waste of time"

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:43am

Is NVQ now equivallent to city & guilds ? ie can you become fully qualified taking the NVQ route.

It seems pretty the same in terms of work placement and day release?

When i did mine i did 4 days in the shop and day release just 1 day a week for 3 years which was 9.00 in the morining till about 8 at night.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2004, 7:11pm

Thanks for the replies guys, gonna go for it.

No Woodsmith, I'm not in the industry (yet! Wanna keep options for future open) but love working with wood (always have done) - there are two versions of the course, first is for employers wanting to send their apprentices on day release, second is for the likes of myself and is paid for by the local education authority: not sure if this is a nationwide thing or just local to me here in rainy cold Carlisle. My course would be two days a week for a year and is classed as full time! LOL Student hours!

PS Forgot to mention that in order to gain the FULL NVQ2 on this particular course requires a fair amount of assessed on-site tasks to be performed as well as the classwork eg. hanging a dozen doors etc.. not entirely sure how this is gonna be achieved, will find out in June when I meet the tutor for interview, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have "agreements" with local firms.

Will keep you informed, Mike.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Finbo
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:06pm

Hi all, while we are on about NVQ's which is the way to go for a career in the industry. As im not employed in the industry and cant do NVQ's what do i do. have looked at the local college and they do a foundation course and then a city & guilds after that, what qualifications do i need. Catch 22 cant get a job in the building trade without qualifications,and cant get qualifications without emplyment in the trade ???

After 14 years in a factory i realy need OUT Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:24pm

I know what you mean, mate.. worked in a factory for 14 yrs - good job, good pay but not really satisfying in any way and far too much pressure (was a prepress shift manager in a magazine printers).

I now work on the railway as a signaller on the Settle & Carlisle line in a remote signalbox with nowt but glorious views whichever way you look, no bosses as such and can do whatever I like within reason whilst at work - best job I've ever had but money ain't brilliant compared to printing LOL!

Reason for reply: I'm surprised you can't get access to the same course I'm considering as I'd have imagined that some kind of nationwide standard would be in effect, but then again I am probs totally wrong - anyone got any ideas bout this?

Mike.

PS: Just flattened a 6' x 6" x 1" plank of redwood using a hand plane - bloody knackered and LOADS of respect to the old timers who didn't have access to the toys we do now..... reminds me of cutting dovetails by hand  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:32pm

[quote author=Finbo  link=1083107209/0#5 date=1083272799]After 14 years in a factory i realy need OUT Grin [/quote]
14 years? I beat you by 15 & I have never regretted getting out. I loved the work but not the environment. If I could have fitted the same machinery in my garage I would have still been using it 11 years later.
Oh no. I didn't have a garage then, that came from the compensation they gave me as an out of court settlement that also paid off 2 bank loans. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:55pm

Will buy you a pint when I send you a P45!!!!!!

BTW 14 yrs in printing = 28 yrs anywhere else!
Yup just made that one.

Mike.

Footnote:

American naval battleship to unrecognised! "obstruction":
"We will use deadly force if you do not adjust your trajectory to avoid collision: do you understand - over"

British lighthouse to US battleship:
"We're a lighthouse - you're move asshole - out!"

LMAO

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2004, 11:01pm

Doc, I used to have the complete radio broadcast of that incident in text.
It was a Canadian lighthouse being threatened by the American warship.

It was so funny reading that transcript.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2004, 11:08pm

Yeah m8, I just typed out the basic jist of it LOL! It was funny tho, think my mates still got the broadcast on his PC - will enquire and if he still has it I'll let you know and e-mail it to you if you want....

Have you seen the "my love" video featuring George Bush and Tony Blair?  Kiss

Mike.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2004, 11:13pm