Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:40pm
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Meranti: Anyone got experience of it? (Read 3947 times)
Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Meranti: Anyone got experience of it?
Apr 29th, 2004, 10:48pm

Yo folks!

Just been phoning round local timber suppliers/sawmills to see what they had in stock and I've been offered Meranti at £1.60 ft PAR. American White Oak = same price.

2 questions:

1) Price seem OK? I'm assuming it's inc vat going by previous purchases.

2) After a bit of research on web it seems to be a wood commonly used in doorframes/windows etc. so is it primarily used as an outdoor wood or do you reckon it could be used to furnish some nice looking furniture?

Reason for second question is if I want some I'm gonna have to move fast as Andersons only have a small stock of the stuff and because of work/family commitments I can't get round to the yard til next Friday.

Meranti appears to be like mahogany in appearance from piccys I've seen - what you think? Try Meranti or get the Oak?

Mike.

BAH!! Forgot to mention, prices quoted were for "whatever they had at the time" - usually it's 12'x8"x1" rough as planks but prices above are for finished requested size.

Insert amusing text here ->
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Meranti: Anyone got experience of it?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:58pm

Philipines Mahogony or Luan are other names for meranti. This site should help decide which of 4 types it is. http://www.libertycedar.com/Dark_Red_M.htm
P.S. It's an American site

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

coggy
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2004, 11:09pm

I would say get the oak.

I have worked with Miranti when making windows and yes it looks like mahogany but more porus if i remember right.

Miranti is a lot lighter in weight than mahogony and if i remember right when you looked close at the grain there was small white grains in it.

A lot of the windows we made in Miranti was painted so it can not be that great a finish or wood.

It is easy to work with but just a cheaper version of mahogany, and dont think it will last as long and be as hardwearing.

I would definately go for the oak if they are the same price.

Hope this may help, if any of my suggestions are wrong then please correct me it was a while ago i worked with it.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2004, 11:22pm by coggy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2004, 10:25pm

Oak it is then !

Thanks for replies, Mike.

Insert amusing text here ->
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print