Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:58pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tap Washers (Read 20499 times)
rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Tap Washers
May 5th, 2004, 6:07pm

Was round at me sister-in-laws doing some free sparky work for her (see how nice I am?) - actually she is a cracker, so more than 'happy to help out'!

Anyway she asks me to stop the tap dripping in her bog sink. "No probs says me adopting the macho mode, if a plumber can do it anyone can".

Here I am eating humble pie... take of the top section to reveal the dreaded nut and as usual all locked solid. Spash a bit of WD40 around and wait. Nut loosens ok problem is the whole damn thing comes lose i.e. water pours out. No prob - turn off the water (combi so no tank etc.) problem is kitchen 'fitters' be there first and boxed in the main stop. Other than get outside and turn it off in the street is there anyway I can get the bl00dy thing undone?

I did suggest it wud be cheaper to get new taps (£17 for two, we aint a proud lot!) - no, there are no service valves, it was fitted by a professional plumber so ya wud not expect them wud ya  Grin

Any suggestions, other than carrots go nice with rabbit stew, MUCH appreciated from my dearest friends - the plumbers.

Ray

NB. Note I did not post this in the trade section, not worthy of your Godly skills.

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Tap Washers
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2004, 6:31pm

In my experience those damn taps seem inclined to weld themselves together.

Replacements sound like a good option.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ColG
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2004, 8:48pm

It's the street if you can't get to stopcock - probably find that's jammed so need to get waterboard in to sort it, I fitted one of them remote stopcock switch doobries - good bit of kit for 30 quid.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2004, 8:54pm

So belting the taps with a sledge-hammer aint a good idea then?

Yes, I was suspecting turning off in the road will be the only option. How come kitchen 'fitters' are still alive? They are worse than DIYers.

OK maybe I will suggest she gets a plumber in (now I see why ya all drive around in S class Mercs).

Wabbit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2004, 9:15pm

Once you turned the water off.

A big adjustable spanner on the nut, and hold the body with a pair of grips to stop it turning, use a piece of cloth on the chrome.

May need to give the spanner several light taps with a hammer.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2004, 9:26pm

Thnx Scruff - but plz bear in mind I am no plumber and may not have explained the situation too well...

1. Take off tap top (the bit ya turn in normal use).

2. I take off a shroud type thing and this exposes large brass 'thing' with nut on top of a thing flange and the whole thing sits on top of chrome bit.

3. If I recall one can change the tap washer without turning off the water at source or service valve (which it does not have), correct me if I am wrong. One does this by losening the nut and this exposes the 'upper level' onto which the washer sits - the bit one has to use a re-seating tool if its buggered up.

If wrong so far apologies, I did a one day intro plumbing thing and well..... err.. umm did not enjoy it that much.

4. Anyway, one undoes this nut and should be able to do so without water coming out - Right/Wrong? then replace the washer?

BUT the whole assembly is coming undone and away from the tap assembly.

Sry if its badly explained. As I said maybe she best to get a plumber in, it wud be nice to know though for future reference.

Wabbit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2004, 9:31pm

Looking at the pics at http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/taps_seats.htm

Looks like - nope ya HAVE to turn the water off to tap to change washer?

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2004, 9:42pm

There you go easy aint it Grin

The hard bits turning the water off  ???

Taps vary a lot so it may not be as the link but same ideal, come back with more info if you have problems.

scruff

IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2004, 9:48pm

lol Scruff easy-peasy.

I wud turn the water off, its rebuilding the kitchen afterwards that puts me off!!

So, and to put subject to bed, generally to change a tap washer ya have to turn off the water then?

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2004, 10:16pm

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1083776838/0#8 date=1083790100]I wud turn the water off, its rebuilding the kitchen afterwards that puts me off!! [/quote]

The stopcock should NEVER be boxed in. If there is an emergency in the house then the householder ought to be able to turn the water off ASAP.

I would suggest you sort that particular problem out pronto.

Quote:
So, and to put subject to bed, generally to change a tap washer ya have to turn off the water then?

Generally, yes. Or you can freeze the supply pipe which puts a plug of ice in - gives you about half an hour. The freezing kits are available in all the DIY stores - cost about £12.

Or if you were a weal pwumber you'd have a fweezing kit which is a bit like a large soldering iron in reverse. Ya plugs it in, hook it wound da pipe, and it freezes. Best not to practice dis on ya member though..... Wink

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2004, 11:09pm

Rabbit,

I've done a lot of things on a live mains including blowing a 12" one up in Newhaven Harbour, but would you change a socket without isolating it.

scruff

IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2004, 11:18pm

I did a job for an ex-physics teacher once.  He would DIY electrics, but not plumbing.  When I asked him why not? he replied "At least electricity stays in the wires"! Cheesy

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #12 - May 5th, 2004, 11:22pm

Is it hot or cold RR? if hot, you should be able to isolate it thru the combi

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2004, 8:14am

Geez guys waht a great bunch ya are, I take it all back - ya not the money grabbing bunch of cowboys that most people think plumber are  Grin Ya kind, gentle, friendly always willing give sound advice. Thanks.

Andrew I know the F****G main stop cock is meant to accessible - go tell ALL the kithen 'fitters' in the UK that would ya please! They should be fined, don't THEY have a book of Regs? Sort it out? Now me sister-in-law is great but rebuild her kitchen units?  All I was offering to do was change a tap washer (and anything else she might fancy!)

Scruff, ya a cheeky devil, NO I wud not change a socket with isolating supply. BUT I swear our lecturer, when I did a wee plumbing course, change a tap washer without isolating supply. May have been dreaming coz it was one of THE most boring courses I have ever done and fell asleep most of the time. A 12" fuse! Blimey mate when ya said 12" I was thinking "...here we go plumbers boasting again...." then I read fuse.  Grin

GReg - the most sane man here!! Ya Ya reckon it is possible? Its the hot tap so I follow ya logic. The Combi is a damn great thing Errrr...Worcester-Bosch... she had TERRIBLE problems getting it serviced NO local guys could handle it, had to come from the UK representatives. Looks like the control centre for a nuclear power station inside - now, which tap do I turn for hot water off? ummm.... BANG!! Poof, Wabbit in space... Nope not that one.......

Thanks again me thinks I will get her to get Master Plumber in and I will go to the pub instead....

Ray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2004, 11:35am

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1083776838/0#13 date=1083827693]Blimey mate when ya said 12" I was thinking "...here we go plumbers boasting again...." then I read fuse.  Grin [/quote]

A well endowed plumber? Do me a favour. They drive round in flash cars all the time and we all know this is a substitute for certain shortcomings in their life Wink

Mind you, even if they did have a 12in knocking tool I reckon they wouldn't use it as a rule.... Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2004, 11:52am

No good as a rule spends all its time bent!  Shocked

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member