Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:31pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bath sizes (Read 24369 times)
Slug
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Bath sizes
May 7th, 2004, 8:43pm

Howdy Peeps
I'm doing a Rabbit Rabbit and am about to install a new bathroom suite in exchange for a one in a million chance of getting me leg over, (being a shallow stereotypical bloke is one of my strong points).

The installation is going to be a breeze, BUT !!, the bathroom is 1685mm wide ! 1700 mm (or thereabouts) is the standard bath length. There is an existing bath there, so where on earth did the previous house owners get it ?!! I've tried all the major DIY stores, Plumb Center and a couple of independants and no-one seems to do a 'slightly smaller' bath unless you get a square jobby or pay billions for it.

Any ideas of any national companies/ South Essex independents anyone ? Ta very muchly.

p.s - did I just say the installation is going to be a breeze ? Oh myyyyy God. I ought to know better, thats the kiss of death straight away. Cue 18" of water throughout the house and a dose of diptheria when I change the loo over.

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Bath sizes
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2004, 10:01pm

My bathroom is 1.676mm (5'6") & took a standard bath when it was built.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Trade: Handyman

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2004, 10:11pm

Hi Slug - I have a similar problem, but the bath I need is very small.  I tried a local plumber's shop and they tell me that there are various sizes available (at reasonable prices too).  Off the top of my head I don't remember the sizes, but it didn't seem to be a problem.
If you want I will have a measure up next time I go to the site (tomorrow perhaps?), and let you know the number of the plumber's shop - it's in the Medway Towns in Kent.

Trouble is I had already bought the new bath before I realised the difference in sizes!  Should have measured up first I know, but it was 10% day at Homebase so I bought it on impulse!

Windy

PS
Anyone want to buy a brand new steel bath? Embarrassed

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ColG
Reply #3 - May 7th, 2004, 10:14pm

Slug, you can either get a 1700mm bath and chase the wall out so it fits or you can get a 1500mm bath (much more comfy for that post coital bathing). Cheesy

Col

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2004, 10:17pm

Cheers Dewy / Windy.
How big is the bath you have 'lying' around Windy ?! I see you were enticed to be a Homebase 10% groupie as well  Grin Kent is accessable despite being ''sarf of the river'' !

I have noticed that the 'standard' 1700 mm quoted for baths is industry gibberish as they all seem to be between 1680 mm and 1700 mm, you'd have thought that some bright spark somewhere would realise that measurements are actually quite important .... or am I just being boring and old fashioned ?!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2004, 10:20pm

[quote author=ColG  link=1083959024/0#3 date=1083964466] (much more comfy for that post coital bathing). Cheesy

Col [/quote]
Grin
No-ones mentioned 1500 mm size baths to me, I've just had the Dixons style blank, 'you from Mars mate ?'' look when i've asked if theres anything smaller !

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ColG
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2004, 10:35pm

Ideal Standard do one slug

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2004, 10:39pm

thank you Colg.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2004, 10:55pm

[quote author=Slug  link=1083959024/0#4 date=1083964668]
How big is the bath you have 'lying' around Windy ?! I see you were enticed to be a Homebase 10% groupie as well  Grin Kent is accessable despite being ''sarf of the river'' !
[/quote]

I'll measure it tomorrow Sluggy!

Yeah fraid to say that I was well and trult 'enticed' at Homebase!  Not one of my better moves though if I'm honest.  Mrs Windy had some vouchers, so we ended up with a too big bath, and a folding table that was better and cheaper in Argos.  She got a nice plastic storage box thingy for the wardrobe though!

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2004, 11:08pm

As long as Mrs.Windy is happy, thats the main thing !! Life wouldn't be worth living otherwise, but maybe thats just my viewpoint of marriage  Grin
Yeah, if you could measure the bath, theres a possibility that my Bathroom Bird may not have found anything yet. Thank you.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2004, 11:26pm

I fitted a bathroom before Xmas and had exactly this problem - the bath was 25mm longer than the space between the walls.

Fixed it by carving a niche out of the plasterboard wall at one end so that the end of the bath poked thru. Bit heath robinson but that's what the client wanted me to do. Who am I to argue?

Cutting that hole in the plasterboard was a cinch with my Rotozip.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2004, 11:48pm

The 1680mm is the old standard 6'6" baths, someone still made them but will have to get the brain cell working.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2004, 11:51pm

Evidently the 'proper' way to fit a bath is to channel out the walls to enable you to recess the top lip of the bath slightly.  The wall tiles and silicon then sit a little proud of the lip edge so the water spalshes are able to run down and across the sealer onto the angled portion of the lip and then back down into the bath.  
The idea is that this is a more effective/reliable way to prevent damp penetrating the mastic seal.
I doubt that many people nowadays would go to these lengths (unless there was a space issue), and indeed it may no longer be necessary with the advances in silicone sealer technology...

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #13 - May 8th, 2004, 2:14am

[quote author=thescruff  link=1083959024/0#11 date=1083970106]The 1680mm is the old standard 6'6" baths, someone still made them but will have to get the brain cell working.
scruff [/quote]
1680 is 5'6" not 6'6"  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2004, 9:48am

Well spotted Dewy, I told the finger to push a 5; Really. Embarrassed

Hope it didn't take 2.26 hours to work it out  Grin

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #15 - May 8th, 2004, 7:45pm

[quote author=thescruff  link=1083959024/0#14 date=1084006131]Well spotted Dewy, I told the finger to push a 5; Really. Embarrassed

Hope it didn't take 2.26 hours to work it out  Grin

scruff [/quote]
No. More like 2.26 seconds including the typing. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #16 - May 8th, 2004, 9:18pm

Windy Miller  - so long as the tiles come down onto the bath - then you should have no issues

I will sometimes cut the bath into plasteboard if its a stud wall out of square

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print