Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:33pm
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bath sizes (Read 24268 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Bath sizes
Reply #17 - May 8th, 2004, 9:43pm

[quote author=greg  link=1083959024/15#16 date=1084047526]Windy Miller  - so long as the tiles come down onto the bath - then you should have no issues [/quote]

You don't want the tiles coming right down onto the bath though - the bath flexes as water and people go in/out, and if there's a solid joint between tile and bath the possibility exists for the tile to be popped off the wall.

Incidentally, people do know that when tiling/sealing a bath they should fill the bath with water during the sealing operation? That pulls the bath away from the wall the maximum amount as the sealant cures.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Trade: Handyman

Reply #18 - May 8th, 2004, 10:51pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1083959024/15#17 date=1084049009]
Incidentally, people do know that when tiling/sealing a bath they should fill the bath with water during the sealing operation? That pulls the bath away from the wall the maximum amount as the sealant cures.
[/quote]

Good tip that one HandyMac - the same theory applies when fitting a shower tray, but to simulate the movement caused by the weight of the person in the shower.  A few bags of cement usually does the trick (unless you're built like my Mother in Law of course, then you need to park the van in there! Wink)

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #19 - May 8th, 2004, 10:59pm

Anyone else do double seals? i.e  Bath to the wall first then bath to the tiles.

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #20 - May 10th, 2004, 10:35pm

Thanks for the feedback peeps. Have decided to use a standard bath and do a chase into the wall. Great info about the filling of the bath and the movement. Much appreciated.

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #21 - May 10th, 2004, 10:42pm

Don't forget of you chop them in too much the taps hit the tiles.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #22 - May 10th, 2004, 11:01pm

Fair point, thank you. Luckily, the tap end will be the opposite end to the chase !

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

guitartrax

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - May 11th, 2004, 12:17am

I had the same problem with a house i was doing up and managed to source one from MKM it was 5ft and  quite reasonable at £225 inc both bath, toilet and sink etc. B&Q would order you one but they want an arm and a leg.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Trade: Handyman

Reply #24 - May 11th, 2004, 10:28pm

Hi Sluggy - my 'spare' bath is 1770mm.  Sorry for the delay Mate - been farting about with too much other stuff!  It's too big for my bathroom (by about 600mm!) so it's up for grabs.  Let me know if you are interested...

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #25 - May 12th, 2004, 8:09pm

Thanks for looking Windy, much appreciated, but the potential legover was out placing her order today.

On a seperate note, i've been trying to find out the best method(s) for cutting a chase in a wall. (Nope, I don't know what the make up of it is  Embarrassed) Scoured the college library shelves and done some web surfing but couldn't find anything of note. I'm pretty confident I know a way, but i'm always open to ideas ! Does anyone know of any websites that might cover this sort of thang ?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2004, 8:10pm by Slug »  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #26 - May 12th, 2004, 8:24pm

Sparkies use a twin bladed, diamond, 4" angle grinder for cutting chases about 40mm at a guess, don't see why you couldn't hire one from your local tool hire.

Other than that the trusted  big hammer and bolster.

scruff

IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #27 - May 22nd, 2004, 1:55am

Just got back in from unsuccesfully trying to get me leg over the bird i'm doing the bathroom for .... DOH !!!  Sad Still, I got an SDS big f**k off manly 'big drill, small willy' drill, a set of nice Rothenburg pipe benders and a cert for a garden tap jobby out of it  Wink

Great  news, no chase needed after all the panic, the Plumb Center bath fits with 3mm to spare (noted about the tiles etc !) BUT !!! This has thrown me out a bit, the bath has no tap holes ! Is this common ? Surely not ?!  Grin Not seen this on any of the baths in college  Grin. (Yeah, I know, I KNOW !!!! .... but if no bugger in essex is prepared to give me a plumbers mate job, i'm gonna take yer work and yer women and yer housing etc etc) It's acrylic and obviously I have but one chance to make sure I do the holes right. What kind of drill bit shall I use ? Wood ? Its only glass fibre'ry type stuff after all .....  
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2004, 1:57am by Slug »  

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2004, 10:59am

Baths with no holes are much the norm now, with all the wall fixing taps etc on the market.

Also a lot of posh stuff that can be fitted on the corners or sides.

Use ONLY a holesaw of the type sparkies/plumbers use, them baths will split if you try to bodge it.

scruff

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2004, 12:44pm

I would've thought a Q Punch of the appropriate size would have been the way to go with a fibreglass bath:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=7684

These work by drilling a small hole (about 1/4in or so) first, passing thru a bolt, then tightening the cutter with the bolt. Nice clean holes result.

Haven't tried this on fibreglass though!

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #30 - May 22nd, 2004, 1:43pm

I would've thought a Q Punch of the appropriate size would have been the way to go with a fibreglass bath:

Your having a laugh HM?

No way would I use one on them on a fibreglass bath.

scruff

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #31 - May 22nd, 2004, 3:13pm

I wasn't having a laugh as it happens - I wondered whether it might work. Obviously from your response it appears not.

These Q Punches are very good for sheet material (like aluminium plate). Probably not so good for something fibrous like glass fibre.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2004, 3:31pm

you could try one on an old one, and let us know what happened.

scruff

IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2004, 10:51pm

Fortunately, this morning when I woke up, I had the idea of a holesaw, no idea why the thought never occured to me before ! Senility creeping in already i guess  Grin Havn't had a chance to try it yet because of the nightmare of all nightmares ! If you are a home DIY'er or a college chimp like me, you may find this tale of interest !

First off, the hot and cold taps on both the basin and the bath were on the wrong sides, so, I kinda (rightly i feel) assumed whoever had done the original install was a bit of a plonker, so when I saw what appeared to be 22mm going into the bath tap connectors I just thought it was another plonkerism.

HA !!! How wrong can a man be ... bloody 3/4" imperial piping ! it goes without saying that I had cut the pipe and discovered this gem when I tried to put a 22mm cap on it to stop some dribbling (the stop valves are naff as well !!). To cut a drama short I spent half the day mucking about with PTFE and flying around to find 3/4" > 15mm ........ Not an easy task on Cup Final day !! Ended up having to solder a converter and a reducer. Not that it worked of course on the dribbly pipe ! Out again tomorrow to try and find a compression converter, but somehow I don't feel the Sunday fodder of B&Q and Homebase will be of much help !

What gets me is that the house was built in 1980 apparantly and it looks like the whole blooming gaff is in Imperial. With my limited knowledge, should I have forseen this ? I thought the metric stuff had come in during the 70's ?

There is however a morale to all this, what I have learnt today and whilst doing a couple of other jobbies for friends has been invaluable ! There's nothing on earth to drum a point home when youre working on your own ! Doubtless some will, with some justification, raise their eyes to the ceiling at the incompetence of a rookie plumber, but these are lessons which cannot be learnt in a college workshop and will most certainly never be forgotten !!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print