Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:13pm
Quote: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bath sizes (Read 24267 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Bath sizes
Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2004, 10:59pm

[quote author=Slug  link=1083959024/30#33 date=1085262697]There is however a morale to all this, what I have learnt today and whilst doing a couple of other jobbies for friends has been invaluable ! There's nothing on earth to drum a point home when youre working on your own ! Doubtless some will, with some justification, raise their eyes to the ceiling at the incompetence of a rookie plumber, but these are lessons which cannot be learnt in a college workshop and will most certainly never be forgotten !! [/quote]
FWIW there's hardly a day goes by where I don't learn something new job-wise.

It's not that I haven't done the work before, but that each installation tends to have its own little quirks to come to terms with.

I'm becoming a bit of a dab hand at fitting loft ladders these days, but the first couple caused me a few problems! It's that sort of experience that can't be read in a book.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #35 - May 22nd, 2004, 11:10pm

[quote author=HandyMac  link=1083959024/30#34 date=1085263157]
...I'm becoming a bit of a dab hand at fitting loft ladders these days....
Andrew
[/quote]
Aaargh !! I've obviously got some stuff to look forward to !!  Grin

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #36 - May 23rd, 2004, 12:34am

You should be able to get a compression socket to tighten down on imperial pipes.

If your really lucky you may be able to find a couple of 3/4" olives.

A tip for removing water from a pipe before soldering is to use a length of 6mm ish plastic tube and syphon it out.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #37 - May 23rd, 2004, 12:49am

Thank you thescruff for those suggestions. I did indeed, (eventually !),  manage to cap the offending pipe with a 22mm cap and PTFE and it was as dry as a bone Perhaps its a mix of paranoia, wanting to learn and pride ! Paranoia in that if it isnt made for the job, it must be wrong  Grin, wanting to learn is self explanatory and as for pride. As a novice I have been taken aback at some of the things i've seen from 'professionals' (such as the taps today) and wouldnt want someone down the line to be thinking the same about my work. Bit sad and a bit arrogant, but hey !

Can't quite get my head around the siphoning bit at the moment, i'll have a ponder about that tomorrow.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2004, 1:10am

[quote author=thescruff  link=1083959024/30#36 date=1085268883]You should be able to get a compression socket to tighten down on imperial pipes.

If your really lucky you may be able to find a couple of 3/4" olives.

A tip for removing water from a pipe before soldering is to use a length of 6mm ish plastic tube and syphon it out.

scruff [/quote]

blodey hell.......i had to figure that one out the hard way about a year ago.....did LOADS of em in a flat...all near floor....nightmare....i only go near pipes now to stick bonding straps on em

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #39 - May 23rd, 2004, 7:17am

Hell, I found the easiest way to get water out of a pipe was to connect my aquavac hose to one end and give it a good suck (the pipe I mean, not the aquavac...). Then when the majority of the water has been sucked out put the aquavac on blow.

In just a couple of minutes you've got a dry pipe. Well dry enough so that application of a blowtorch will take care of any moisture residue.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #40 - May 25th, 2004, 4:12pm

so why do you say that 22mm to bath taps is wrong? are you on an unvented DHW system?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Slug
Trade Member

Reply #41 - May 25th, 2004, 8:25pm

[quote author=greg  link=1083959024/30#40 date=1085497976]so why do you say that 22mm to bath taps is wrong? are you on an unvented DHW system? [/quote]
Hi Greg. Having re-read my ramblings I didnt really make it clear that it was actually 3/4" leading into the tap connectors and they were tee'd off the 1/2" leading from the loft cistern and the DHW vessel which does is vented.

Concerning the Imperial / metric conversion thing, after not a little mucking about, the 15mm compression fittings worked a treat for me on the 1/2" but I just couldnt get a tight fir with 22mm on 3/4". Fortunately I have found a place locally who sells them.

I've had a bit of a mare connecting copper 32mm waste pipe to the bath trap. I guess its an ultimate plumbing sin but I ended up having to wack some LSX in which seems to have done the trick.  Embarrassed Please correct me if I'm wrong, I always thought a bath waste should be 40mm ? I was going to change the whole pipe upto the stack but the stack connection was hidden in the most awkard manner possible entailing the possible demolition of the entire side of the house.

Some fella was in today tiling the floor and walls and gave me some great tips about locating the WC pan and drilling tiles. I've r4eally enjoyed this jobby, depite not getting any money for it, I've learnt shed loads from it. Thanks to you peeps for giving me some advice as well.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print