Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:53am
Quote: Alcohol and mathmatics do not mix. Never drink and divide.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Qualifications? (Read 6658 times)
Mice

pass me the BIG hammer

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Qualifications?
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:21pm

Hello all,
I would like some information as to what qualifications will be necessary to legally carry out plumbing work(not gas) as part of a building maintenance/developing buisness. I have a background in mechanical engineering so would not be completely green but would like to be able to offer guarentees and become a member of a recognised organisation ideally.
All help appreciated.

We will fix it, we will fix it
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Re: Qualifications?
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2004, 11:45am

there are no legal requirements for plumbing at the moment (altho i expect this will change sooner rather than later - just like part p for sparks) certain works have to be notified to the water board who will need to carry out 1st and 2nd fix inspections unless you can self certify - which you cant unless you are a member of an approved plumber scheme

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mice

pass me the BIG hammer

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2004, 12:14pm

Thanks for the reply,
How do you go about being able to self certify? Training, experience?

We will fix it, we will fix it
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2004, 5:50pm

training / testing - local water board regs department should be able to advise you of who locally runs courses / assessments

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2004, 12:58am

Minimum of NVQ level 2 - this will be introduced within the next couple of months.  We have been informed by our local training officer that soon, nobody will be able to carry out wet plumbing work without a minimum of NVQ level 2.

Personally I think you need more than this; a couple of years experience with a good firm before you start getting yourself into hot water (when you come across odd situations) plus if you ever work for local authorities they will demand qualifications.  You can get yourself into a whole lot of trouble by entering a field of trade in which you have no experience or expertise.   Even after 15 years and countless training courses, I still come across situations which test my knowledge to the full or which require that I ask advice or re-train!

Take care.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2004, 6:00am

It worries me that they might even consider putting in a part p equivalent for plumbing. Just how hard can it be to do a job with pushfits?

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2004, 8:24am

its not just about the level of difficulty of fitting pipe, its knowing whne you need to use check valves, when to use singles, when to use doubles, do you need a type A air gap etc etc

we take it for granted in this country that when we turn on the tap that we get clean drinking water, this is only because of the level of protection that our mains water gets

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2004, 9:41am

Yeah, I suppose you are right. I don't get involved in running new pipe runs anyway. Just replacement sinks/taps, washing machine feeds, that sort of thing.

But like part P it would really p!ss me off if government decided I couldn't do these simple things.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2004, 11:03am

Quote:
its not just about the level of difficulty of fitting pipe, its knowing whne you need to use check valves, when to use singles, when to use doubles, do you need a type A air gap etc etc

we take it for granted in this country that when we turn on the tap that we get clean drinking water, this is only because of the level of protection that our mains water gets

Thankyou.

Thats my point - there's more to basic wet plumbing than just push fit and Hep2o!  A little knowledge, as they say, can be a dangerous thing.  There are instances where simply fitting a new tap can have consequences with Legionella for example.

Best for everyone if we all achieve a minimum recognised standard of safety at least.  Experience of the myriad of systems you can come across can only really come with time.

The only gripe I have with self certification for the Water Board is that by taking the exam and doing such mains water work yourself you are then taking on direct and personal responsibility for the work and all relevant/related regulations associated with it.  (Basically doing the Water Boards job!)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2004, 12:18pm

Hmm, haven't heard that before. Is Legionella really a possibility for something like a tap?

My understanding of Legionella was that it brewed in storage tanks and then became a problem because the water vapourised and was breathed in. I wasn't aware it was a contact bug.

Any chance of some further information on this topic?

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #10 - Jul 8th, 2004, 7:46pm

HM - Legionellas is not a contact bug, it needs to be breathed in so as to get to the lungs, but any tap / outlet that creates a spray / mist is potential to spreas it.  Cooling towers, showers, spa baths etc etc need particular attention

As for part P type action for plumbing - plumbing is already there in so much as certain works require notification to water authority and inspection by water authority at first and second fix stage unless you are able to self certify - but i would expect it to get tighter still yet

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print