Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:37pm
Quote: There are two theories to arguing with women. Trust me, neither one works.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
External Cabling in the Garden (Read 8448 times)
Green_Fingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

External Cabling in the Garden
Jul 9th, 2004, 6:13pm

A good while back I had some cable laid under the patio into the garden for future use - most probably pond pump and garden lighting.

The sparkie taped up the end of the cable out there where the wind blows and the rain falls.

I'm getting twitchy - especially as I periodically suffer from a power mains ring gremlin causing the central trip switch to go - tho' no individual power circuit's switch (RCB?) trips and the house lighting remains unaffected.

Yep I've had the system checked twice now by competent sparkies and tho there were a couple of issues sorted, the phantom tripping continues.

What device should I get to terminate the 12mm cable rather than rely on the sparkie's red tape?

Yours thankfully, Green Fingers

PS Liked the jokes!  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Re: External Cabling in the Garden
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2004, 6:16pm

Surely the cable is on its own breaker tho and the breaker will be in the off position so cant see how this would cause nuisance tripping?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Green_Fingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2004, 6:41pm

Thanks for the quick response. Cable isn't on a specially/new dedicated RCB. Its linked (a spur probably)into one of the (5) power main rings/circuits in the house - each of which has its own trip. (It does have its own wall switch inside the conservatory)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2004, 8:05pm

There SHOULD be an RCD dedicated to the outside cable. Is the isolating switch in OFF position if not then switch it OFF. If it is OFF then it aint this cable, asuming switch is OK.

What do you mean by: "The sparkie taped up the end of the cable out there where the wind blows and the rain falls."

And waht do you mean by: "I periodically suffer from a power mains ring gremlin causing the central trip switch" The incoming RCD (assuming you have TT supply - overheadd cables)?

12mm cable seems somewhat large csa for a simple pond pump and lighting  - unless ya live at Buckingham Palace - Charles.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2004, 8:29pm

12mm i assume as overall diameter.

No need for specific RCD for outdoor kit, it can share one with your ring mains if is a split load board used.  (although it is better on its own).

Even if it had its own MCB, and this was off, then the N would still be connected, and the RCD could still trip.

Best to disconnect, not terminate the end.

If you want to terminate it, i would use a 'pot end', which is basically a resin joint with only one entry(or the second entry closed off).  Cut all armours off, cut each conductor to a diferent length, and fill the joint.

Very surpised he livened it up at all Smiley

BTW, TT systems are predominantly overhead, but can also be from undergorund networks.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2004, 9:38pm

[quote author=Lectrician  link=1089393180/0#4 date=1089401383]BTW, TT systems are predominantly overhead, but can also be from undergorund networks [/quote]
I have a question for interests sake only.....

Where I grew up as a child in a council house, the mains came to the property via 2 wires strung from the telegraph pole outside the house. I didn't take much notice of it back then other than trying to throw things up to hang off the wires. Dunno when the house was built, I would assume 1940/50's.

Would that arrangement describe a TT system?

I don't recall ever finding a stake for earthing and I was always digging around the property, I always assumed they must've tied the earth to the neutral at the house end.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2004, 10:04pm

As Lec is implying one cannot really generalize Handy.

For example you can have overhead cables and have a PME (Protective Multiple Earth) which makes what many would think as a TT arrangement (overhead cables) is actually TN-C-S (Terra-Neutral-Common-Split).

Lec: agreed but I have a habit of automatically fitting RCD's to outside circuits like I breath automatically. God knows why coz as ya say if the CU has an RCD 30mA then why not. One probable reason I do it is so the client can isolate that ONE circuit as RCD's in CU's tend to be expensive and RCBO's even more expensive.

12mm probably outside dia.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2004, 10:07pm

if there are 2 (and only 2) seperate wires to your house it has to be TT (consumer provides earth independent of REC)

the drop to the property from the tied down (as in neutral rodded down at frequent intervals) main cables for a PME (where earth is tired to neutral) has to be concentric

older TT installs were often earthed via water pipes rather than a rod being used this worked extremely well when all water pipes were metal but problems with it arose as water pipes were replaced with plastic and it is no longer allowed by wiring regs

i belive it is still permitted to have a TT earthed via burried structual steel but normal british houses don't have much of this Wink

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2004, 10:11pm

I did not mention number of cables on overhead supply Plug - but agreed 2 and 2 then it has to be TT.

Ray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2004, 6:53am

Thanks guys. And I reckon with that house they most likely used water pipes to provide the earth. Even the outside guttering and drainpipes were metal so it stands to reason that the incoming water supply was as well.

Definitely only 2 wires coming in.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2004, 9:06am

TN-C-S = terra neutral combined seperate.

meaning N and E combined in supply and seperate in installation

the N combined with the E utilises a PEN or CNE conductor.

In the old school days, all overhead where TT, but as time has gone by, most overheads are PME complient.

Im PME is available, it may not be used in some instances anyway, eg. swimming pools, petrol station forecourts etc
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2004, 9:06am by Lectrician »  

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Green_Fingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2004, 2:02pm

Hi to all contributors. Referring back to my original question, a lot of what Lectrician said rang bells with me, particularly regarding a connected Neutral causing problems. I'm sure I heard that when I had a sparkie explain why a gremlin might exist. I like the simple and cheap! disconnect idea!!

When the patio was laid the contractors had this 12mm diameter (external) black "heavy rubber" cable laid under the paviours and out into a bed of cobbles. Yes the end of the cable lying hidden among the cobbles it is taped up with some red insulating tape.

I'm off to switch all power to the house off then disconnect the cable.

MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2004, 2:28pm

[quote author=Green_Fingers  link=1089393180/0#11 date=1089637355]When the patio was laid the contractors had this 12mm diameter (external) black "heavy rubber" cable laid under the paviours and out into a bed of cobbles. [/quote]

Is it not Steel-wire Armoured (SWA) cable, then?

You shouldn't just bury an unprotected cable.   If it's not SWA, is it in any sort of conduit?    Do you know how deep it is buried?  Do you know if there is warning tape above it?

Sounds like there might be a number of things wrong here....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Green_Fingers

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2004, 5:57pm

Thanks ban_all-sheds.

Green_Fingers will keep all 10 digits by ensuring good practice is followed. A proper sparkie will be employed!!

Cheers Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print