Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:26pm
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
wooden worktops (Read 5793 times)
greg
GDPR opt-out

wooden worktops
Jul 10th, 2004, 1:59pm

the house we rent has what looks to be like 2" pine worktops coated with a yacht type varnish, problem is, whenever you wipe the worktops, unless you dry them with a towel any water just sits on them, so they are beginning to rot  

so what finish can i use so as to create a durable seal but without water sitting on it

cheers

IP Logged

mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

Re: wooden worktops
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2004, 6:31pm

probably best to strip old varnish off with sander and retreat with oil - ikea do one for their solid wood worktops (behandla I think its called) If the top is laminated from strips have they started to come apart?(is water getting between the strips) If so don't know what to advise someone else probably knows more about it than me; at worst, might have to replace the tops. I stripped yacht varnish off a back door and sanded it and used danish oil. The varnish had peeled  and was chipped and flaking and water was getting trapped under it in places so it was grimy grey and crap looking. It may be not so much water standing on your worktop, but getting trapped under the varnish that is doing the damage and started it rotting. Idon't know if danish oil is poisonous to use in a kitchen near food etc
Hope this helps,
Mr Spanton Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2004, 7:12pm

Greg, if the water is sitting on the surface how is it rotting the wood? Is the finish patchy, wood going black, is it obviously wet under the finish?

As you are renting you may be limited as to what you can do.

Easiest may be to let it dry completely, give it a sand and then coat with more yacht varnish. Won't look brilliant but may be your best option.

Oil is a good finish but will be difficult if the wood is already rotting. Danish oil is not safe for food prep areas but is OK for general worktops. Tung oil is food safe but IMHO is not so easy to apply.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2004, 10:49pm

Mr Spanton, Keith - thanks

Landlord is easy going and wont mind me doing what i need to.

Keith - water does sit on top, but i also think as Mr Spanton says, that the varnish has broken down in spots that is allowing the wood to go nasty black looking, especially around the sink and wroktop edges where it meets the wall.  If i were to sand back the varnish and try some oil, but it did not work out, how easy is it to remove the oil?

cheers again

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2004, 11:00pm

You can't remove oil greg. It sinks into the wood.
Some oils are safe with food but seldom keep water out.
Varnish forms a hard skin on the wood but is liable to crack because the wood is always moving with temperature and moisture changes. These cracks may be too small to see but the water will find them easily enough. Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2004, 8:15am

Greg,

Danish oil can be varnished over once it is completly dry but Tung oil can't. If you can use a random orbit sander with the white abrasive (for paint) to shift the varnish then move on to the red abrasive for wood it should give you a good finish  I wouldn't advise you use a belt sander as it can make a real mess of any surface.

Try Danish oil then you can always varnish if you need to.

Use cutting boards, when preparing food, to protect the surface.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print