Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:02am
Quote: The grass is always greener when you remember to water it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oven trips RCD after reaching set temperature (Read 21167 times)
koen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Oven trips RCD after reaching set temperature
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:29am

I bought a big secondhand range cooker which has two ovens, one gas and one electric and an electric bbq.

I've wired this on its own radial to a 40A MCB, protected by a 30mA RCD. I can have all electrics on (probably about 10kW in total) and everything runs fine. The only problem is that when the electric oven reaches it set temperature (and switches off the heating elements) it trips the RCD.

Any idea what might cause this?

Seperate from this, there are two rings on 32A MCBs on the RCD, and when I switch one of those MCBs off, the RCD trips after a while. I don't think this has anything to do with the cooker problem as it already exhibited the problem before connecting the cooker. As far as I can see there is no mix up of neutrals or anything like that.

Thanks,

Koen.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Re: Oven trips RCD after reaching set temperature
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2004, 11:44am

40A MCB is on the low side for 10kW (43.5 A).

What size cable did you use to wire up cooker radial?

If its not the cooker, eventhough its pretty clear it IS if when oven gets to temperature it trips RCD does it ALWAYS do this 100% of time? Have you or are you able to do an insulation test on the entire cooker? It is 2nd hand after all it could be duff.

When you say MCB also trips RCD "after a while" if it were something on those circuits I dont think there woud be an "after a while" about it - it would be instant or should be unless the RCD is duff.

It maybe and I mean MAYBE that you need an S type RCD (time delayed).

A very common problem is that neutral is shorting to earth somewhere bear in mind that RCD's sense current balance in phase AND neutral.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

koen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2004, 11:57am

The manual for the cooker says that it can be wired to a 32A MCB, so the 10kW was probably a generous estimate. I used 6mm2 for the radial.

It's only the electrical oven that trips the RCD. The bbq or the grill in the gas oven happily switch off when reaching temperature. So far it's tripped every time with the electric oven, but I get shouted at for testing too much (every clock needs resetting in the house for instance). I will megger the cooker to make sure that the problem isn't with the insulation. Not sure if I can emulate the 'temperature reached' state very well though.

About the two ring mains, everything works fine when both MCBS are switched on and the RCD doesn't trip (this has been on for several months now). However I've been working in the kitchen, putting more sockets on one of the ring mains, and when I switch that MCB off, everything is fine (RCD stays on), however when I return a bit later to switch it back on, the RCD has tripped. And this happens every time too.

Thanks a lot for such an extended response already.

Koen.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2004, 12:04pm

Typical! These cooker manufacturers shoudl be shot I have seen this many times same with shower units.

10,000 / 230 = 43.47 amps

Being generous its 10000 / 240 = 41.67 amps.

How long is the cable run? I would have used 10mm cable...

In the meantime - still think about thenRCD tripping

RR

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2004, 2:07pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2004, 12:09pm

i would say its triping cos of a thermal fault on the element.
its cooling when switched off and touches the casing of the element i reckon, or the switchgear does.

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2004, 12:15pm

Good one this! Love the remote debug sessions!!

Sorry just re-read so its NOT 10kW then I assume.

Good point SS.. Could well be.

Is it a split CU? what is the current rating of the RCD?

Ray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

koen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2004, 12:22pm

I estimated the 10 kW, I need to add up all elements to see how much exactly. I hope the cooker manufacturer was right (Britannia, I'd expect them to get things right). Cable run is about 10 metres.

Maybe the delayed RCD is the answer, as a lot of current is suddenly stopped when the oven switches off. I don't think it's the heating elements touching, because the rcd trips exactly when the oven switches off (temperature light goes out). I will test the insulation on it too though.

Koen.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

koen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2004, 12:23pm

you are all answering too quickly!

split CU, 30 mA RCD...I've been thinking about moving it over on the non RCD side...but I'd rather find out what is making it trip first

Koen.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2004, 1:48pm

I meant what was the current RATING of the RCD within the CU 60A, 100A. The reason for asking was that as the oven switches off (temp reached) maybe, only MAYBE, then there is a current surge not a differential imbalance of 30mA.

I would probably have fitted the cooker in the non-RCD side anyway and only the final ring circuits, shower etc on the RCD side.

RR

PS. The manufacturers DO get it wrong by the way, numerous instant heating shower makers get it wrong in their installation instructions.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2004, 2:09pm

putting a time delay RCD on is certainly not the awnser, find out if possible why its tripping, not just put a time delayed RCD on, the cooker would be better off the RCD if its causing problems.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2004, 5:16pm

Ref RCD tripping after a time while you are messing extending the ring.

If you short N to E during that time, it will tirp, and i guarentee you are, by cutting the cable, scraping the wall or wall box etc etc.

Why a cooker on the RCD?  What type of eathing is it??  Do you have an 'earth rod' outside??

I have had this problem before with a new cooker, they replaced it, and it worked fine.

I appoligise to all if i am repeating!!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2004, 9:07pm

Tiz a good point Lectrician. Its how I had the Fire Brigade out once (ref:Electrician section). Turn off the MCB go and cut through a cable momentarily shorting neutral and cpc and the RCD WILL trip.

But the cooker... tiz an interesting one... no sleep for me tonight I can see.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2004, 11:07pm

First.  Simple solution to the problem is to do what you should have done in the first place - put the cooker on a non-RCD circuit.  If you'd done it right the first time you'd be blissfully unaware of a slight earth leakage at certain times.

Second - RR - even if it is 10kW, the diversity guidelines produce a load of 20A, or 25A if there's a socket on the CCU, you know that.

So whilst personal preference might be for something sized to cope with the full load, for the manufacturer to suggest 32A is in no way irresponsible.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2004, 7:04am

The trip may be caused by the cooker switching off. There are two possible causes which are not 'faults' but caused by fairly common conditions.

Double pole switching often can cause an RCD to trip when no fault is present. If the neutral is not broken second then the cooker load will cause a capacitive imbalance when the thermostat switches it off. The time delayed RCD would solve this, but I wouldn't use one instead of the standard one, as this will remove your socket protection for hand-held equipment etc.

The second non-fault cause would be arcing on switching if there is a high capacitance to earth caused by the switching.

As stated by the others shift the cooker over to the non-RCD side is best. Same goes for any Immersion type loads.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print