Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:15am
Quote: Life is sexually transmitted.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi All - new one here :-) (Read 4176 times)
Toytown

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Hi All - new one here :-)
Aug 14th, 2004, 9:05pm

Hi all,

i found this site via a link from something I was reading about 16th edition, forget where ?

Anyway, a bit about me  Grin

I am looking to start up again doing mainly re-wires, new installations & "additions" to domestic properties & thought I should ask some advice with the partP coming along fast !!!

At the moment I have only C&G 2360 Part 1,  but in my previous time as a sparky it was all I needed as I employed qualified lads to do the installations & testing.     This was all in a previous "life" & i havn't done any sparky work for about 5 years now  Roll Eyes

What would you all reccomend ?  

I don't have time to do Part 2 before January   ???

Could I go for any crash courses to refresh my memory on the 16th & possibly gain a qualification that would suit one of the Part P officials ??

Who would be the best to become a "competent person" by ???

Would appreciate any help,  although you time served sparks will see me as an amatuer, I do work to very high standards & DO NOT want to go for it the way many others will, just ignoring Part P & blundering along doing El cheapo crap work.

Many thanks

JOhn

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Hi All - new one here :-)
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2004, 9:17pm

the niceic seem to want 2381 *or* 2391 for domestic installer and i expect others will be simil
you are also going to have to pass the inspections from whatever approval body you go with

2381 is the 16th edition witring regs cert mainly intended as a refresher for older sparks but thier aren't any restrictions on who can take it afaict

2391 is the test and inspection qualification

from what people tell me 2381 is a piss easy book exam
2391 is somewhat harder

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Toytown

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2004, 9:37pm

Hi Plugwash,

Many thanks for the rapid reply !

Am I reading it right ?   That even me with only 2360 Pt1 can sit 2381 and 2391 & become registered with the NIC ???

Seems too easy, I always thought the NIC were the elite !

In your opinion, is this a good way forward (unless I'm missing the point completely) ??

thanks

John

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dingbat
Trade Member

How hard can it be?

Total Thanks: 2

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2004, 11:43pm

Hi John,

you say it sounds too easy, but you have to satisfy the NIC that you are competent and that is done both through qualifications and through examination of recent work. You also need to have all the kit and publications and demonstrate that you can carry out safe and accurate testing.

You'll need to get a real move on too, if you want to stand half a chance of becoming 'self-certifiable' before Part P comes into force - applications are taking around 3-4 months to process according to a chat I had with a NIC inspector the other day.

Go their website (niceic.org.uk) and have a look at the enrolment section.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2004, 1:25am

well what plugwash said is almost right, however if you look a little further you will see they require NVQ or Part 2 or higher grade qualifications e.g. ONC/HNC

the 2381 should be easy enough, some places will let you get away with out it dependant apon when you learned to regsulations, e.g. if you learned to 15th eddition they would require 16th 2381 course.

the 2391 is a must, especialy now you must have it for self certification, and I personaly wouldnt consider it hard after looking at it, but this is really dependant apon each person.

It is possible to do 2381/2391 without part 2, however certainly our local college doesnt accept this, they also require you to do 2381 before 2391, where as other college's don't  Roll Eyeslastly as dingbat said, they will want to see a minimum ammount of work there site says, 5 jobs minimum if I remember.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2004, 1:27am by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Toytown

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2004, 8:49am

Many thanks for al your replies chaps  Smiley

It does look as if I will have to get my skates on a bit !

The 5 jobs might be the least of my worries, as I understand that before Jan I can work / trade as a sparky & I am pretty sure I can find work (domestic) & do these to the required standard (hope that doesn't sound arrogant, I'm not, but always did work to 16th edition regs religiously).

Assuming I can get enough work under my belt, & pass 2381 / 2391,  would I be able to join the scheme via one of the options ??  (without the aggro of part 2).

Isn't it a shame that Part P could eliminate people that WANT to do a good job  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2004, 1:22pm

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print