Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:23pm
Quote: What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RCD Trips frequently! (Read 2534 times)
stephen

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

RCD Trips frequently!
Sep 6th, 2004, 4:16pm

Hello...

I have a Crabtree Starbreaker Consumer unit which seemed to trip for no particular reason every couple of months, which was irritating but not the end of the world, I run a server at home in the loft which is always on. To get over the problem of the RCD tripping I have installed a UPS to kick in and shutdown the server safely. However since installing the UPS its been used much more than expected!! The RCD trips every couple of days, this is now really irritating (that was put politely) I don't know a great deal about electrics etc... So any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Also I have had the UPS switched, in case it was faulty... Same story with both old and new.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chtechie
Re: RCD Trips frequently!
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2004, 5:53pm

Some IT equipment has a high protective conductor current so in some ways you've possibly made the situation worse. You really need somebody with 16th edition test gear to locate the original problem.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2004, 10:02pm

id say put in a dedicated cuircuit for the server on the NON-RCD side of the CU

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2004, 10:14pm

I would suggest both of your comments together would be most appropriate, It's not normal to have special equipment such as IT equipment on RCD's because data loss is not considered good!

I would get it checked out first, and if it is 'expected' eath leakage from the UPS device that's fine, important to check no other earth leakage or other problems are present before putting UPS & Server on Unprotected board side.

get it checked out first, and then have the UPS and/or server taken off the RCD Protected side of the board.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print