Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 2:48am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
that tingly feeling (Read 6445 times)
dj
GDPR opt-out

that tingly feeling
Sep 13th, 2004, 7:44pm

hi guys, i posted this on sf  and just wondered if anybody here had any advice, except the usual call an electrician...
as a temporary set up i have a beer cooler sat on top of a tumble dryer, these are only here whilst i do the kitchen, shortage of space and all that.
any way the two items are both working fine, but when i come to move them i get that tingle in my hand. it only happens when i mistakenly touch both appliances. is there a way that i can find out wich one is at fault, remember i'm no sparkie. i can only presume this doesnt happen all the time because the cooler is on rubber feet?

any help appreciated.

dj.

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: that tingly feeling
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004, 9:04pm

It may be that neither is at fault. That doesn't help much I know, but jumping to conclusions about one must be at fault is not a good starting point.

It's possible that it's you that's at fault. By which I mean that you obviously have to move across the room to get to these devices, and in doing so you might be building up a static charge on yourself. That static charge will dissipate when you come up against something which is at a different potential (usually earth, but it doesn't have to be).

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004, 9:20pm

hmmm.
just to test your theory handymac i have just benn over and touched them both and....nothing, no tingles.
if it was an electrical fault wouldn't it do the tingly thing all the time?

dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2004, 10:28pm

First thing to do is to switch them off and examine the plugs and cables carefully, any damage will be what you should get checked.

What electrical test kit have you available? It's not a good idea to use yourself as the test kit, so you'll need to get some kit. Let me know what you've got and I can give you suggestions based around that. If you don't have anything then it may be easier & cheaper to get a bod in as the kit will cost anyway.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2004, 10:38pm

It's likely if it's a fault you would get it everytime you touched it, static is most likely explination, you can build up quite alot without realising.

cant really help much, if your concerned in any way, get it checked out by an electrician.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

dj
reading the Re: that tingly feeling
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2004, 3:49am

general opinion points to static, so i'm going to go with that unless proved otherwise. reading the posts made me realise that a tumble dryer produces plenty of static, dur... i should have known that in the first place. so if the dryer has been on and i touch it aswell as touching the cooler  i am finding the earth between the two therefore giving me the tingle. trying this a second time doesn't give a tingle because i have already absorbed the static. does this make sense??

dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2004, 9:19am

What kind of tingle is it? Do you just get a brief tingle or does it carry on tingling. If the former then it's static, if the latter than check that the two appliances's earths are ok. The difference in feel between a static shock and a electrical "tingle" is quite noticable and most people know the difference, usually having had the static shock whilst at school during physics lessons. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2004, 12:52am

thanks for your replies, the the only testing kit i have is me so apart from the standing ther testing with my hand while the missus hoses me down, i can't test it.
it seems like an earth leak because static i have felt off the telly is different, however once i have had the tingle and touch both appliances again.....nothing, which points to static.
???  ???  ???
however the electrician is calling next week for a first fix so i will ask him to test. i just hope it's the dryer, if anything, because it's going to the tip soon.

thanx again
dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2004, 1:35am

rash...........

read my signature below....

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #9 - Sep 15th, 2004, 8:42pm

well today was the first chance i have had to go through everything properly and i think i have solved the problem. some jerk had connected a plug to an extension lead and just not bothered with the earth. that's the last time i use someone elses extension lead without checking it. (lesson learned). so after all my concern it was simply a case of rewireing a plug.
beanzy you had it right in your first sentence.

oh and before anyone jumps on me for using an extension lead on an appliance, as i have said before it is only a temporary set up.

so thanks to you all except  the "regulation quoting resident rash"

dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #10 - Sep 15th, 2004, 9:33pm

Hey Dj, thats great you have it sorted, Static was still a possiblilty, however its good you have it sorted now, these appliances leak to earth a small ammount which is normal, Im sure you would have known if anything more severe happened to you.

And with regard to extension leads, you could do with a socket tester if you want to ensure this doesnt happen to you again, and nothing wrong with using extension leads as long as you dont overload them, however best do without them as much as you can.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #11 - Sep 15th, 2004, 9:34pm

Well done dj.

As with all things there's no point going into convolutions or assuming anything until the basics are checked. Fixed wiring rarely 'just goes' there's normally an associated event which causes damage or aggrivates a poor installation which has coped up to that point.

Appliances and the like are another matter. A house nearby went up in smoke last Friday. TV was in standby and an internal fault caused it to ignite and nearby papers and carpet soon caught. Tha fire inspector gave them some guff about back-feeding through the mains as this would get the claim through quicker for them. If he'd said it was the line output transformer collapsing, the insurers and manufacturer would be having a ding-dong until next century. So another fire gets put down to the fixed installation when it's another appliance fault.   Tongue

Now't wrong with flexes and extensions as long as they're used and mounted correctly.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2004, 9:34pm by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print