Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: loft conversion
Reply #17 - Sep 26th, 2004, 3:49pm

[quote author=Dewy  link=1096062922/0#14 date=1096166407]In other words SS you wil be OK so long as your hobby isn't weightlifting.  Grin Grin [/quote]

lol, ill ava look a bit later all everything
thing is if the timbers aint made bigger the ceiling downstairs is gunna suffer aint it Sad
and its all tacked up with nails Angry

cheers

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #18 - Sep 26th, 2004, 3:52pm

[quote author=Robbo  link=1096062922/15#16 date=1096206472] Joisting is usually one of the lesser problems to overcome, its the fire issues that are the real bug bears. [/quote]

yes, they are a pain in the backside Cry

and three steels Shocked thats prpbrably inline with my luck but i hope not Sad

ss

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2004, 6:42pm

7.20meters front to back
5.59meters party wall to party wall
2.34meters high
i can take piccys of anything you want and post them within a minute or so Grin
i took some, but dont know what you woukd be looking for so dint want to show the condition of the ...urm...mess ...unnececerily Grin

cheers guys

ss

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2004, 7:27pm

Provided you can get the bearing in the party walls I would do it like this, red squares are steels, brown lines timbers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/jasonballamy/roof1.bmp

Steel long enough to go front to back would start to become too deep, reducing head room and be hard to get hold of, most steel stockholders keep 6.0m lengths. Was involved with a mansard roof where the steels went between party walls and were in two pieces joined with plates, made them easier to install and handle, pulled then up with a barrow hoist and manhandled into place.

Where are you measuring the 2.34m height?

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004, 7:28pm by jasonB »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #21 - Sep 27th, 2004, 7:31pm

cheers

would prefer to avoid steels if poss as it means major disruption and expence- if it came to that id probrably just make it a 'hobby room' like mentioned, if it could be done with timbers though Grin

although, if steels are the only option i would still considder it!

2.5 meter height is from current boarding out level (would have to come up atleast 2 inches else we would have 2 little beams running above floor level lol...)
to the bottom of the center 4*1 at the very peak of the roof...no idea what the chippy chappy name is for it

cheers

ss

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #22 - Sep 27th, 2004, 7:46pm

Reading your posts again you say  the rafters 3x1 and mention the word truss.

How old is the house, does it have a traditional cut roof or modern trusses, perhaps a general pic of the loft may clear things up.

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004, 7:47pm by jasonB »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #23 - Sep 27th, 2004, 7:59pm

http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/P3050009.JPG
http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/P3050004.JPG
http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/P3050003.JPG
http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/P3050007.JPG

ill get more is ya need

house is 1960s council terriced

truss is made of 3 by 2 (appears to be just slightly under this size ???)on the inner supports
and the actual bit the battons are nailed to are 4*2
rafters are 4*1+3/4
the supports that run across the top of the rafters are 4*2

the supports(that run from party wall to party wall) that are at an angle with the pitch are what looks like 6*2

cheers

ss

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004, 8:01pm by supersparky »  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #24 - Sep 27th, 2004, 11:05pm

Are the existing joists running in the same direction as the red lines that indicates the steels in your original drawing? if so I posted thinking they ran the other way.
Now this gives you 3.6 to the internal divideing wall right? So could you not then use 8x2 at 4.2mtr  champfered at one end (the pitch of the roof angle)and tucked in tight over the wall plate and nailed to the bottom of the rafters, the other end would overhang the central wall by.6 of a mtr. If you then repeated this from the other side but placing the new joist the opposite side of the corresponding rafter on that side the middle could be bolted together as you have a now 1.2mtr of double joist, may possibly need to add a corse of brick to the central wall for levels.
What you have in your loft is not a conventional factory type made fink truss but more a kind of mish mash of hangers, purlin struts and collar ties all serving a specific purpose. You obviously need to remove theese so my opinion is that you will need to install two further purlins to compensate for all theese supports being removed.. excepting the original purlins. One problem that springs to mind is the need for a top hung velux window to act as a means of escape which I think needs to be around 1.5 mtr from the finished floor level and if there is a purlin there you may have a problem.
Also are you aware you will need to double board the second floor ceilings to half hour fire regs, possibly fire doors and self closers also and a wired integrated  smoke alarm system on all three floors, a minimum headroom for the stairs all enclosed to half hour fire with doors top and bottom, the list goes on.... lofts are a pain really when you consider the legalities of doing it by the book, as often as not you are better off building an extension if this option is open to you as once the consideration of what space will be lost putting in a stairway compared to what will be gained may be a false economy in the bigger scheme of things when it comes to both practicallity and adding value to the property.... though having said that lofts are a great place to throw the kids up into when they are driving you nuts. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #25 - Sep 27th, 2004, 11:25pm

i dont think im being clear Embarrassed

or im being a basic sparky lol Tongue

heres the ground floor layout
green line indicates joist direction on ALL diagrams

there is only one set of rsjs
they are on the groundfloor ceiling/first floor floor but are shown on ground floor and first floor diagrams

http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/rsj.jpg
http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/first floor.JPG
http://novoserve.no-ip.biz/loft.JPG

extention ; no chance! lol  Cry
for the fire check, i was told about a landlord getting away with sticking inch plasterboard or some other fireboard under the floorboards- saved the ceilings ???

failing the official route
then it will be a hobby room Wink
but the rafters move all over the place...will this change or would it be a good idea to run say 2*2 across the rafters in parralell with the biger 4*2 supports which would also level out the floor, then nail to each rafter to hold in place?

by the way, another thing i was eorrid about was if i added the 2*2 and then the chipboard flooring, plasterboard it out ect will it become to heavy? the ceilings not gunna come down is it!??? lol

cheers so far
it looks like it wont go official...

ss

IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #26 - Sep 28th, 2004, 4:10pm

i think ill go the unnofficial route and board it out
what can be done without it being classed as a bedroom? i take it its a matter of stairs?

pain in the ass with all the regs

oh and the joists are alot firmer now ive done a bit more boarding- think the 4*2 with 2*2 across will be up to the job?

cheers

ss

IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #27 - Sep 28th, 2004, 4:35pm

The main difference between going the official way and just doing it without approval only shows when you sell the house.
It is was done officially then you can sell with the attic as an official habitable room therfor increasing the value.
If not done with approval then you can't advertise the attic as being a room so cant add to the sale value.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #28 - Sep 28th, 2004, 4:53pm

I think the hobby room route is the best option, by the time the floor was strengthened and the slopes insulated you would have very little head room to make a worthwhile room.

Get a good quality pull down ladder to make access safe & easy without the loss of floor area that propper stairs would take up.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #29 - Sep 28th, 2004, 8:32pm

Loft conversions are my thing you can  fix steels across between your party walls, officially unless you have cavity party walls you are into partywall act, if you want to cut into them there are ways around this using plates bolted to the walls to take your steels these would probably need to be in 3 sections each as for a 5.6m span they will be huge you would probbaly need two but may be able to build a dormer up off your back wall and then you would only need one.
You will almost certainly need a steel at the ridge if building a dormer to carry the weight of the front roof.
You are tight for headroom but probably would just have enough. if your measurement was from the top of the joists to the bottom of the ridgeboard.
someone mentioned cutting floor joists at an angle and wedging them into the eaves and sat on the wall plate that is a big no no your floor joists are only as big as they are at their narrowest point.
Get an architect in would be my advice but it all boils down to how much you want to spend really.You are looking at 25K+ to convert an attic upto regs

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #30 - Sep 28th, 2004, 8:38pm

cheers everyone
looks like ill just board it out lol!
25k is not soo bad but its also no worth it for what we would get/ hastle we would have getting it done Roll Eyes

cheers

ss

IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2004, 3:44am

On the trimming of the floor joist at plate level, there is usually only a slight trim at an angle across the top corner to be made if the roof pitch is not low which has no over riding affect on strength, just as in any new build for that matter, as for steels at ridge level in dormer construction, if the purlins are sufficient, then doubleing up the rafters to trimmers is a far easier option as they are far easier to manouver and a good roof carpenter would have no bother in creating a dormer without steel.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2004, 7:34pm

that is not true about trimming floor joists on the angle it is perfectly acceptable for a new build where those are acting as ceiling ties and not floor joists as in a loft conversion.Imagine this your new 8" floor joists meet up against your existing 4" rafters and you cut them off on the angle you are reducing them to about 65-100mm across their bearing on the wall plate would you be happy with 4" floor joists. Do it and see what building control have to say about it I am presently working on a job where the architect specified to do that and building control turned it down.The dormer construction is not the only purpose of a ridge steel the steel is there to also take the weight of the front roof, as ther are no longer any corresponding common rafters on the dormer side of the roof. Admittedly this can be acheived with timber but for a 5.59m span you would need the equiveelant of a 10x8 softwood beem and usually you dont have 10" headromm to spare in your average loft conversion

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #33 - Sep 30th, 2004, 8:29pm

We will have to agree to disagree, Admittedly this type of work is your bread and butter so will bow to your superior knowledge, but I have converted in this manner to the satisfaction of building control and Architectural  specification..I was not actually advocating notching the timber beyond a point that weakens its bearing strength, more that if it would work in this manner if it was a feasable option. As for the steels I cant agree with you there however and anything that can be achieved with steel can be achieved in a simpler fashion with timber in the right constructive manner and particually in this case where the dormer in question would not be of a vast proportion, there would be no need to resort to ordering over the 5.2 mtr spans that are carried as maximum stock item.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print