Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:08pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Floor sockets (Read 4657 times)
chopster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Floor sockets
Oct 4th, 2004, 4:43pm

Hello again

I need to remove a socket from the skirting board and want to sink it into the floor, I have seen that you can get floor sockets, but is there anything different that needs to be done when installing them, and how do you attach the back box to the floor

Thanks for your help anyone

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Floor sockets
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2004, 12:03am

Hey Chopster

Floor sockets are usualy in offices and are done by floor screed boxes, however without having fixed them im not entirely sure how there fixed, for something in your house, if it must be in the floor there are single sockets with sprung metal lids to keep socket safe when not in use, can't offer much more advice on that.

heres an idea of a recessed socket outlet

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2004, 5:01am

Buzz out a beam (or look for where the nails are currently located) once you know which direction the beam goes then mark out the floor box hole so it is either to one side or straddles the beam, I prefer to do across the middle of two boards too as then you don't get a poorly supported board.

Cut out the recess for the metal box and install. Clip the Twin & Earth cable to the beam just below the box level and bring it in to the box in a nice gentle curve. Don't forget to use the grommits to line th box holes, and screw the sides of the back box into the edge of the floor boards for support.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2004, 9:15am

if its a wooden floor then it should be possible to use one of the floor boxes made for false floors in offices

that style with the flap suck imo they are extremely noticeable when not in use and the flap tends to catch risking it getting broken off or becoming a trip hazard or both

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

chopster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2004, 10:55am

[quote author=plugwash  link=1096904637/0#3 date=1096964130]if its a wooden floor then it should be possible to use one of the floor boxes made for false floors in offices

that style with the flap suck imo they are extremely noticeable when not in use and the flap tends to catch risking it getting broken off or becoming a trip hazard or both

[/quote]

I don't mean to be stupid but which ones do you mean, the floor is actually a fairly decent real wood floor that was there when we moved in but the socket is going over in the corner in an alcove. (want to put a couple of units in the alcove but the current double socket is one of those external types that has the back box on the outside as well so it sticks out into the alcove by about 10cms or so and the units won't fit in, so I have to take it off and put it on the floor, as there is a gap underneath the units.) Can I just put the current back box and socket straight onto the floor, without having to cut huge holes etc.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2004, 6:55pm

No you need to keep the conductors away from combustible materials and protect them from being toched. If the prob is just the patress box on the wall you can get a 'dry-lining' box to go in the wall if it's board. Then you can leave the floor alone. Otherwise you'll need a box. It sound's like you may be better getting some experienced help so you don't do the wrong thing.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2004, 10:51pm

[quote author=plugwash  link=1096904637/0#3 date=1096964130]if its a wooden floor then it should be possible to use one of the floor boxes made for false floors in offices

[/quote]

The only other decent type is the office ones which are not idealy suited for houses at all.

The flap shouldnt catch whilst no plug is in, seen alot of these about and they look ok.

Anyway I think what your looking for is some solution to your problem with that box, and as beanzy suggested, getting some help in may be the best thing, it's unlikely to be very costly just to have that done.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:53pm by LSpark »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print