Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:43pm
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas lamps (Read 12775 times)
odd_job

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Gas lamps
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:57pm

Hello,
I wonder if you Corgi guys could help here, I met a customer the other day who has some beautiful old gas lamps outside her house. They are plumbed up to the gas supply and working.
The problem is that since her husband passed away recently she has been too nervous of them to turn them off. (They are burning very low). They are not original to the house and the pipework looked relatively modern to my untrained eye.
What she needs is a corgi person to give them a service/check they are safe. Simple, I suggest, ring corgi H.Q..
But she had already done this and was told there was only one such person in the west london area. She called him several times but for some unknown reason he won't return her calls.
So what do you think she should do? Can anyone out there help with this? It would be fantastic if you can because the lights look fantastic and I think they are a reminder of her husband.
Any advice would be great even if it's turn them off immediately, they are dangerous! (though a happier ending would be nice!)

Thanks in advance,
mark

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chappers
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Gas lamps
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2004, 11:36pm

its possible they are new, helped a sparky mate of mine at a womans house about a year back and she had just had some new gaslights fitted in her dinning room.
Your right the light is really nice off them and no smell whatsoever

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2004, 12:06am

Thanks chappers, These were fitted in the last ten years - I think, and are in working order. She just wants to make sure they are working safely/have them serviced (if thats what you need to do). For her own peace of mind.
Don't know if it makes any difference but they are all outside, a couple are ex genuine old street lights.
funny really, not so long ago everyone was ripping them out!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2004, 8:57pm

These lamps I believe are a similar design to the gas heaters for gardens, some of the pubs have these gas heaters connected to the mains gas, is there a manufacturers name anywhere on them or any name, if you can check I will try and source the manufacturers litrature, it would depend what they come under in ACS certification as to who could service them
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2004, 8:58pm by REAL_PLUMBER »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2004, 9:02pm

odd job, have a look at www.gas-lights.com are these like the lights, I will contact the company to see what category of ACS they come under, if I can service them I will, depending on the location, what location are you

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2004, 9:57pm

Hi plumber, thanks for the great offer.  looked at the website and they are exterior lights like the exterior ones on there. However they are the genuine old ones. They look properly installed (as far as I can tell!) And are not original to the house. The gas pipe to them is about 8mm copper if that helps date the installation.

I think her husband always dealt with that kind of thing but sadly died 18 months ago,and the lady just would like them checking over to make sure all is well with them and safe. Two are 'normal' size and one is a big old street lamp!

They are in twickenham, west london. It would be fantasic if you could check them.
Thanks
oj

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2004, 10:03pm

I have contacted gas-lights.com to find out what ACS accreditation covers these gas lights, as soon as I have heard back I will let you know if my ACS certs cover these, I have not come across them before so I am unsure how they would be categorised.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #7 - Oct 6th, 2004, 10:51pm

Gas light consists of a quarter turn plug cock and a mantel.

Acs not listed, i asked last time i renewed my tickets

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #8 - Oct 6th, 2004, 11:56pm

Thanks a million for doing all this plumber, you're a star! Is twickenham an area you can reach?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2004, 6:33pm

scruff what ticket covers these lights, it must come under something, gas fires boilers or what, it has to be under some category or no-one could work on them

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2004, 6:58pm

[quote author=Plumber  link=1097013434/0#9 date=1097170390]scruff what ticket covers these lights, it must come under something, gas fires boilers or what, it has to be under some category or no-one could work on them [/quote]

Nothing in the book on gas lights, as far as the asc are concerned they don't exist
???
scruff
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2004, 6:58pm by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2004, 9:52pm

hi guys, what's the asc? Sounds worrying that the lamps don't exist!
I wonder if i should contact that gas lamp company and see what they recommend people do regarding servicing those.
Or are they so basic they don't need servicing?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2004, 9:56pm

Anything that burns gas would require servicing
ACS is the examinations that we have to sit every five years in the relevant categories of gas we wish to work in.

I emailed gas-lights.com yesterday but I have had no reply yet, if my ACS will allow me to work on these gas lights I will service them for the lady, as soon as I hear from the company I will obtain the service procedure for them
« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2004, 9:59pm by REAL_PLUMBER »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2004, 10:03pm

whats your area of coverage plumber?

sound (too) close to me Grin

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2004, 10:08pm

oh I see, so you need to know which exam covers them to know if you have the correct qualification Smiley. got it!
I had a look at that website again - didn't realise it is in america! The faq on it makes it look like they expect people to fiddle about with the  lamps themselves!  Not something I intend doing - they belong to a customer I did some odd jobs for, she just mentioned the trouble she had had finding someone to check them over and I thought I would try to help her out.  
But anyway thank you so much for all the time and effort you guys have put in on this, it's great to know the net isn't just full of wierdo's!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

odd_job

Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2004, 10:15pm

Blimey, I just saw your second paragraph of your message plumber. that's great! - don't know how i missed it!  Big thank you, I think she will be delighted if you can, and very surprised (i didn't tell her I was doing this for her, but it seemed such a shame that she couldn't use them I thought I would try to help) So thanks again Plumber

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Oct 8th, 2004, 10:27am

[quote author=odd_job  link=1097013434/0#14 date=1097183336]
But anyway thank you so much for all the time and effort you guys have put in on this, it's great to know the net isn't just full of wierdo's!! [/quote]
He hasn't met CPW yet......

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print