Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:26am
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Outside light (Read 10219 times)
spongebob
GDPR opt-out

Outside light
Oct 9th, 2004, 1:13am

Have purchased one of those decorative lanterns for installation outside the front door. The wiring instructions say that it should not be wired directly into the lighting cicuit. Does this mean not at all, or that it can be wired in provided it is protected via a switch fuse unit, or is it preferable to spur it from one of the ring main circuits. Thanks in anticipation. 8)

IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Outside light
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2004, 2:21am

Hey Spongebob

What type of light is it?...more details needed really.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2004, 10:47pm

Argos catalogue, page 200, item 6, Valencia flush wall lantern, requires 60 watt BC GLS bulb. Is this enough info?

P.S. It's a Micromark product.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2004, 1:33am

Hey Sponge

Must be in the old argos catalouge! (Spring/Summer)

In that case I would suggest you take a FCU from a ring circuit (not lights) and wire 3-core Flex from the FCU to the outside light (1.5mm best)

IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2004, 6:39pm

L.Spark...I assure you it is in the current catalogue. Our local store is classed as an "extra" so it carries a bit more stock than usual.
The method of connection you describe is how I would usually do this sort of thing. In truth I was looking for a short cut to save me a bit work. Into the ring main it is then. Thanks a lot for the info. 8)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2004, 6:51pm

[quote author=L.Spark  link=1097280807/0#3 date=1097368407]In that case I would suggest you take a FCU from a ring circuit (not lights) and wire 3-core Flex from the FCU to the outside light (1.5mm best) [/quote]

Is any part of the flex feeding the outside light open to the elements? That is, you take it thru the wall and then run it along a bit to the light fitting? If so then I'd be cautious about using ordinary unprotected flex because over time it might be affected by UV light.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mark

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2004, 7:50pm

if it is exposed what cable would you use

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2004, 4:05am

something like hi-tuff or arctic grade flex

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2004, 5:13am

[quote author=spongebob  link=1097280807/0#4 date=1097516363]L.Spark...I assure you it is in the current catalogue. Our local store is classed as an "extra" so it carries a bit more stock than usual.
The method of connection you describe is how I would usually do this sort of thing. In truth I was looking for a short cut to save me a bit work. Into the ring main it is then. Thanks a lot for the info. 8) [/quote]

no problem, it wasnt on the page you said, may have been in the catalouge but on another page, was all sofas on page 200!

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2004, 5:55pm

Can anybody think of any reason why a 60W light should not be wired directly to a lighting circuit?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2004, 8:40pm

Not if it's wired in the same cable as the feeding circuit. then no problem  Tongue

IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:44pm

AH HA! Re:- the comment made by ban. That was what I was getting at, using a feed cable, hopefully from the ceiling rose and routing through an FCU. As it is since I'll probably have to lift floorboards anyway I may as well use the ring cicuit. Hope to be able to go straight through the wall into the back of the fitting so no exposed cable, but I have some arctic if the need arises. The fact that it has a 60W bulb was why I asked about using the lighting circuit. If it had been a halogen I would not have considered it. Thanks again lads. Next post coming up.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:51pm

Well you can get away with out the FCU using a light circuit, but at least ur have a switch for it with a FCU

IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2004, 8:45am

[quote author=spongebob  link=1097280807/0#11 date=1097617443]AH HA! Re:- the comment made by ban. That was what I was getting at, using a feed cable, hopefully from the ceiling rose and routing through an FCU. [/quote]
Why do you think you would need an FCU if you were using the lighting circuit?   You don't have FCUs for any other lights, do you?

Quote:
As it is since I'll probably have to lift floorboards anyway I may as well use the ring cicuit.

If you want to use the ring, then you will need an FCU.

Quote:
The fact that it has a 60W bulb was why I asked about using the lighting circuit. If it had been a halogen I would not have considered it.

Why not - what's so special about halogens?   Even a 500W one is only just over 2A - how close to the limit are you with your existing lighting circuit?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2004, 1:22pm

There's no problem feeding the outside light from the existing lighting circuit. What they probably mean in the instructions is that it should be via a light switch anmd not just straight off the Mains!

UNLESS there is something else in the instructions you haven't mentioned.

Got a light switch for the Hall just inside the front door?
You could just change it for a 2 gang one.

Failing this, loop off the existing nearest celing rose for both L+N and fit a new light switch on the wall.
Drop a pair down to the light switch (for Live in and switchwire back) the take a pair out to the light (L+N)

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

spongebob
Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2004, 11:24pm

Ban...I don't have the wiring instructions to hand as it is a job to be done for the mother-in-law and the light is down there. I'm sure that in addition to saying that it should not be wired directly into the light circuit it also says that the light should be protected by a FCU. I presumed that this was to do with it being an outside fitting. I may be wrong. Will get hold of instructions and post.
Re:-  halogens. An electrician I once worked with suggested that I install on the ring main. Sorry I can't remember his reasoning now. I currently have 2x500 and 1x150, all on their own FCU.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2004, 12:02am

[quote author=spongebob  link=1097280807/15#15 date=1097792644]Ban...I don't have the wiring instructions to hand as it is a job to be done for the mother-in-law and the light is down there. I'm sure that in addition to saying that it should not be wired directly into the light circuit it also says that the light should be protected by a FCU. I presumed that this was to do with it being an outside fitting. I may be wrong. Will get hold of instructions and post.
Re:-  halogens. An electrician I once worked with suggested that I install on the ring main. Sorry I can't remember his reasoning now. I currently have 2x500 and 1x150, all on their own FCU.
[/quote]

It most probably wanted an FCU because it also suggested running the light from the ring main, and you would have to have an FCU to do that, because there is a change in cable size, this has nothing to do with it being an outside light fitting.

Your light fitting is not a floodlight, and floodlights are the ones that have halogens, so this doesn’t really affect you, there is also however nothing wrong with having a floodlight & a halogen lamp.

re TT's post, you would however need a switch so you could manually operate this light, the hall is a good position for this, and a local switch could be swapped for a double switch without too much difficulty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print