Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:22am
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Washing Machine wast pipe route (Read 5198 times)
DJS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Washing Machine wast pipe route
Oct 15th, 2004, 11:22am

Hi!
I would like to move the washing machine to the other side of the kitchen to improve the layout for the missus.
The problem is that the back door would be between the W.M and the existing waste outlet to the drain. Is it possible/allowable to run a standpipe down under the floorboards incorporating a trap of some sort then back up on the other side and through the wall to the drain?
The top of the standpipe would be two feet or so above the floor and the other end through the wall at most about six inches above the floor. I hope this makes sense!
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Djs

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: Washing Machine wast pipe route
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2004, 11:36am

That would create a low point in the waste where water would lie until the W/M filled the standpipe 6" to let it rise back up and out into the waste outlet. You are effectively creating a long trap.
Would it be possible to connect the waste pipe into the downpipe under floor level? i.e, run the standpipe from washing machine to trap below floor, then run waste through the wall (wherever the downpipe is) into the downpipe with a new connection, blanking off the old one if necessary.
Another idea might be an extension piece to the washing machine hose (which is pumped) under the floor, then up the wall where the existing stand pipe is. You would need to consult the paperwork with your w/m to see maximum hose length.

Best of luck

ßilly

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2004, 4:09pm

I think I'd have a problem with the suggested routing of the waste pipe as follows.

With the waste pipe disappearing under the floor for a few feet and then rising back up, as it holds water it could potentially freeze during the winter months.

Often washing machine wastes are drooped into the waste pipe rather than being clamped, so if there was an ice plug in the waste pipe you'd probably find that it would overflow all over the floor.

Plus, over a period of time you might find debris from the washing machine building up and forming a plug, so it might not need freezing conditions to restrict the flow.

One thing you could potentially think about doing (not that I think it's a brilliant idea either) might be to get a long piece of waste hose and route that alongside the door sill. You'd need to figure out some means of protecting it though.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

DJS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2004, 4:24pm

Thanks chaps,
It is a tricky idea, maybe not worth the hastle
But if there is a good solution I'd like to know.
The extra long hose could be a possibility.
Cheers,
Djs

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2004, 5:50pm

Do you perhaps have an option of re-routing the external waste pipe? Presumably there's a step outside the door, and you might be able to get a 40mm (or is it 42mm?) plastic pipe across the back door but under a flag stone or something?

If that's a possibility then you could punch a hole thru the wall next to the washing machine to take the waste outside.

If you can get a slight incline on the outside pipe running across the doorway then freezing isn't likely to be an issue - it's standing water that freezes to form a plug, and waste water from a washing machine is usually fairly hot, so I'd be inclined to think it wouldn't have time to freeze before it ran into the drain.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

DJS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2004, 11:15am

Thanks Andrew,
That is a possible idea. I'ii have to see if its practicable.
Cheers,
DJS

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print