Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:41pm
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
last radiator in the circuit (Read 10450 times)
thermo

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

last radiator in the circuit
Oct 16th, 2004, 8:44am

Hi,
hopefully someone can give me a quick straight forward answer to this one. Im re running the old one pipe circuit in my house with a flow and return system and new rads. At the last rad on the system which out of the following do i do?

1: terminate the flow into the last radiator and commence the return out of the other side

2: t into the last radiator at the flow, continue the pipework , turning it into the return and then t into the return from the rad and carry on back picking up the rads?

ive had two sets of advice. My thinking is if i do the first option then any alteration i make to the feed during use on that rad via the valve will affect the return to all the othr rads.

Any answers appreciated and quick as im starting it today!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: last radiator in the circuit
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2004, 8:59am

Does that say your modifying a one pipe to a two pipe ?

If it did then the 2nd choice is closest with mods to it.

will post a drawing later in the day.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2004, 9:04am

If it's a completely new installation then method 1 would be used with a pressure relief valve between flow and return so the pump can still circulate in the event of all rads being turned off.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2004, 9:12am

[quote author=JerryD  link=1097912689/0#2 date=1097913853]If it's a completely new installation then method 1 would be used with a pressure relief valve between flow and return so the pump can still circulate in the event of all rads being turned off. [/quote]

Please explain jerryD.

On a one pipe system the pipe forms a loop between the boiler and the boiler with a pump in the middle, or a series of loops on larger systems.

The rads are tee'd off that pipe twice, one in and one out.

Turning one or all the radiators off will not effect the  circuit.

scruff

IP Logged

thermo

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2004, 9:37am

chaps maybe i didnt make myself clear, at the moment the rads are all plumbed up on a one pipe system. It doesnt work very well and the rads are old and some need replacing. I am therefor ripping them all out and the pipework. I am then going to pick up the pipework from just after the pump run it as the flow and then pick up the return from the last rad and take it back to the boiler. That will then leave me with a two pipe system.

Hope it now makes sense, so back to the original question!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thermo

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2004, 9:39am

Bit more info. Its a gravity system, with a header tank. the pump is about two metres from the boiler on the flow. I was intending to go with the first option.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2004, 10:02am

The hot water is gravity I assume.

below is a basic crude layout for a fully pump system, for gravity primary's a slight alteration is needed.

also need info on the system, is its open vented or sealed, new regs say the the boiler should be interlocked.

for bigger and better drawing send me a email.
scruff

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2004, 11:23am

[quote author=thescruff  link=1097912689/0#3 date=1097914359]

Please explain jerryD.

On a one pipe system the pipe forms a loop between the boiler and the boiler with a pump in the middle, or a series of loops on larger systems.

The rads are tee'd off that pipe twice, one in and one out.

Turning one or all the radiators off will not effect the  circuit.

scruff [/quote]I was referring to the new, two pipe system where there may be no by-pass. One other way to do it is to have one or more rads always in the 'on' position, usually a towel rail, controlled by two lockshields to avoid tampering.  The by-pass is only needed if all rads can be off at the same time (either due to being turned off or through trv's being satisfied)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2004, 2:25pm

In this case  Jerry he is intending to use 2 x 2port valves so a by-pass would be needed.

scruff

IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2004, 3:15pm

You come off the pump to feed one side of all the radiators (the flow), then on the return side of all the radiators you go back to the boiler.

On the last rad you pipe it up the same way as all the other rads, no need to join the flow and return after the rad.

Hope this helps!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2004, 3:16pm

I am then going to pick up the pipework from just after the pump run it as the flow and then pick up the return from the last rad and take it back to the boiler. That will then leave me with a two pipe system.

If you do as you say Thermo that is a one pipe system

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2004, 3:35pm

Have updated the information with a drawing to thermo.

option 2 says he intended to pick up each rad from the aditional pipe therefore making it a two pipe system.

for clarity each rad will connect to the flow and return.

scruff
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2004, 3:35pm by thescruff »  
IP Logged

thermo

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2004, 9:21pm

gentlemen,
thankyou all so much for your help, especially scruff for going the extra mile. It was all pretty much as i thought and having been scrabblin around under the floorboards the existing one pipe system was well beyond its useful life and a complete botch job. The re-running of it is going well, apart from fighting with that damned coiled up speedfit pipe, its a nightmare to get staright for a pipe run. I am a traditonalist and would normally use copper, but ive got very restricted access so speedfit it is, but im not sold on it yet!

cheers once again for all your help. I hope to be able to repay it with some advice you all may need some day.

thermo

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2004, 10:17pm

[quote author=thermo  link=1097912689/0#12 date=1097958067]The re-running of it is going well, apart from fighting with that damned coiled up speedfit pipe, its a nightmare to get staright for a pipe run. I am a traditonalist and would normally use copper, but ive got very restricted access so speedfit it is, but im not sold on it yet!

thermo [/quote]
try plumb in rod to help with the running of the pipe. got some info for them from PHPI looks quite a good idea although like you i only use copper so probably wont buy a set.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thermo

Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2004, 8:47am

thanks for the tip, but made my own out of bamboo canes, some stirng and wire (sounds a bit heath robinson but hey it worked!) The ain problem i found with the stuff is trying to straighten out the rolls of barrier pipe, as it wants to stay coiled. Ive come to the conclusion that using the straight lenghts is easier for a rehash job, but then you end up with joint in it!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print