Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 8:01pm
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trace heating (Read 3238 times)
big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trace heating
Oct 21st, 2004, 6:36pm

Hello all,
I need to run a hot, cold and waste pipe for 4m externally.  I am planning to box this in and fill with insulation to hopefully prevent freezing.  Will this be sufficient or do I also need to trace heat the pipes which is common practice for exposed pipework in industry?
All help appreciated.
Big-e

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: Trace heating
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2004, 6:44pm

trace heating is seldom neccessary, lag the pipes well and you should be OK. If you are really worried it cant hurt i suppose.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2004, 7:07pm

I suspect there are variables in this arrangement which make giving a clear answer difficult.

For example, are the hot/cold supplies running fairly continuously? If left to stand overnight or for several days without the water moving then freezing is a possibility regardless of the amount of lagging you put in place. Water in hot pipes cools down fairly rapidly once it has left the heat source.

No real harm putting traces in just in case surely? Could be expensive if you get a burst pipe.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2004, 9:38pm

Thanks for the replies,
I think I will cost the Trace heating and compare to the cost of repairing a burst pipe, their shouldn't be any water damage if it happens as they will be outside.
Cheers,
Big-e

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2004, 10:07pm

You could also dig a deep enough trench for the pipes so that's it below the frost level. I think it needs to be about a metre or more down to be frost free.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print