Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:41am
Quote: 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm.....

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Double Glazing (Read 13672 times)
mr_spanton
GDPR opt-out

Re: Double Glazing
Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2004, 10:14pm

This may sound obvious and simple, but I would reccomend you ask if your would be supplier guarantees that the spacer bars (the thin metal hollow bars that are sandwiched between the 2 panes of glass) are filled with a dry, quality dessicant (a fine granular powder that absorbs moisture in the air space which stops condensation), and also that the edge seals (2 part rubber or hot melt bitumen) are also guaranteed 100% airtight. Failings in those 2 areas result in probably most DGU's failing and misting up inside with condensation.

IP Logged

ckelly0172

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2004, 1:29pm

Finally had my windows delivered, only 7 weeks delay!!!!
Thye were supposed to come with the sils attached but haven't. How do you attach them to the frame? simply screw them on? do you need to use any sealant? Looking at my sils they have some hooks that run all down the length and I was wondering whether they should click into the frame, the problem being is thatthe frame is 5cm thick and the sill hooks 4cm thick.... do I have the incorrecrt size sils.
Thanks fro your help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Deonpot

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2004, 11:17pm

Hello to you all. I am new to this site and find all the information very interesting. Great site.
Could you tell me when the FENSA laws came in and if they apply to fitting French doors. In 1999 I replaced a lounge window with double French doors leading to the back garden. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2004, 8:54am

April 2002 was the date that the FENSA sillyness started.  French doors are included in the regs but if you did yours in 1999 you have no need to worry.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:55am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Deonpot

Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2004, 6:47pm

Thank you very much for your advice. Fitting the French doors was a project that I decided to do and never quite finished. I am still left with approximatly 1/4 inch gap around the outside of the door which does not look very professional. Also, where I cut the bricks they do not look as good as the top half of the door where the original window was. Is there a way that I can cover the gap and the cut bricks and give it a better finished look.
Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #22 - Dec 30th, 2004, 7:00pm

If it's as bad as I imagine then you either need a good bricklayer (with loads of patience) to cut out the damaged bricks and replace with new OR you could get the external reveal rendered.

Without seeing it it's difficult to say.  Can you post a piccy?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print