Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:30pm
Quote: I intend to live forever........So far, so good...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lead pipes (Read 2282 times)
andymac
GDPR opt-out

Lead pipes
Nov 26th, 2004, 9:52pm

During the course of a bathroom suite swap I've been doing over the last couple of days, I found that there seems to be a fair bit of lead piping still in use in the customer's house.  The heating system's all copper and the downstairs bathroom/shower (don't know about the kitchen, didn't have time to check), but the upstairs bedroom sinks and bathroom are fed off the one lead riser (is that the correct term?) that's had a copper pipe jointed into it.

I pointed this out to the customer and advised her to run the cold for a minute or two to flush out the water that's been standing in the pipes, especially if they've been away for a few days. I also suggested she get a Brita-type water filter .

Should I advise her to get the lead stripped out and replaced pronto and are there any other precautions she could take or any more advice I could give her?

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom, my knowledge of plumbing, etc. has increasd in leaps and bounds since I started coming here.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2004, 9:54pm by andymac »  

IP Logged

JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Re: Lead pipes
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2004, 10:08pm

If it was my house I'd have all the lead removed pdq

IP Logged

Stoday
GDPR opt-out

Re: Lead pipes
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2004, 1:50am

Most water companies will test a sample for lead free of charge.

If your customer is poor, he may be able to get a grant towards the cost of replacing lead pipes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print