Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:42am
Quote: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seal up fire place (Read 2554 times)
twinnieboy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Seal up fire place
Feb 17th, 2005, 9:55pm

I have a small fireplace in an upstairs bedroom I intend to brick up.
I also have a working fireplace downstairs they are both served by the same chimney breast, although I think the flues are seperate.
What I would like to know is on one instance I was lead to believe that all I need to do is brick it up and install an air brick for ventilation, and on the second was that if I have a working fire place below was brick up without an air brick,
which one is correct? ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Seal up fire place
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2005, 10:31pm

The air brick is needed to allow ventilation to allow condensation to evaporate.  You could argue that if a working fireplace is below it you could hope that the latent heat from this will keep other the flue dry.

However, if it was me I would fit the airbrick as the bricked up fireplace will not be kept dry all year round from the second fireplace.

The top of the bricked up chimney will need capping with a ventilated terminal too.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

twinnieboy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2005, 10:38pm

cheers,
I had to check as a progamme on home and leisure( our house 2) said that if you do have a fireplace down stairs dont use an air brick on the fplace up stairs.
Im happy to install air brick as long as i dont get smoke coming into the bedroom

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2005, 8:38pm

[quote author=twinnieboy  link=1108677320/0#2 date=1108679911]cheers,
I had to check as a progamme on home and leisure( our house 2) said that if you do have a fireplace down stairs dont use an air brick on the fplace up stairs. [/quote]

Which will be case if you have one flue servicing two fireplaces. If you have two chimmney pots then you have two flues so you'll need a airbrick and cover on the pot.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print