Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:20am
Quote: History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
COVING (Read 2297 times)
Dusty

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

COVING
Feb 20th, 2005, 4:45pm

Just putting up coving, got some questions please Roll Eyes

1.  Instead of spending ages having to mix up coving adhesive and spreading it onto the back of the coving with a trowel which takes ages Shocked
Q1. Can you get something suitable, in a tube, that’s ready to apply, as per silicon sealants ???

2.  Having applied some finishing plaster to hide the joins between each section of coving (both straight bits and in the corners) the newly applied plaster is cracking Sad
Q2. Why is this, and what can I do about it ???

3.  When it comes to the small gap (between coving & ceiling and coving & wall) apart from mixing up more finishing plaster and taking hours to push a small amount into these gaps all the way around Angry  
Q3. What do the pro’s do ???   I can’t believe they would spend a day or more doing this 8)

Thanks Smiley
Dusty Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

andymac
Re: COVING
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2005, 6:15pm

I watched a painter and decorator  doing this once (I like watching, you can learn no end  Wink )

He had a big tub of ready mixed coving adhesive which also acted as filler for the gaps between  sections.

He buttered plenty of adhesive on , slapped the coving up, put a bit of adhesive in the gaps in the joins, wiped the edges and joins with a damp cloth and went and had a cuppa. It took him and his mate about  half an hour to do a room.

Err, don't know if this makes a difference but the coving he was using was the really lightweight (expanded polystyrene?) stuff.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2005, 6:17pm by andymac »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2005, 7:12pm

Either the ready mixed adhesive or you buy it powdered that you mix yourself.
As AM says put plenty on and wipe off any excess with a wet sponge same in the joints and corners.
You may need to support the coving with some nails while the adhesive sets.
Shouldn't give you too much trouble. Grin

Ken

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2005, 11:26pm

[quote author=Dusty  link=1108917958/0#0 date=1108917958]Q1. Can you get something suitable, in a tube, that’s ready to apply, as per silicon sealants ??? [/quote]

Just trowel it on. No need to be nice with it, just slap it on.

Quote:
Q2. Why is this, and what can I do about it ???

Drying out and shrinking, or some settling? I use extra coving adhesive to fill in gaps. Just throw it on and wipe the excess off with a wet cloth/sponge.

Quote:
Q3. What do the pro’s do ???   I can’t believe they would spend a day or more doing this 8)

Decorators caulk if I'm not using the coving adhesive.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print