Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:29pm
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plastering on painted walls (Read 3436 times)
HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Plastering on painted walls
Jan 14th, 2005, 5:03pm

Am I right in thinking that plastering on walls that have been painted, especially with flaking paint is a no-no.

Just been stripping some wallpaper and finding that the skim coat is just coming off easier than the paper! Initially thought it was damp that was causing all the dull noises when tapping the walls. It turns out that the plaster had blown due to it not sticking to the wall in the first place! In some places there was wallpaper under the skim. Nice skim coat, shame about the lack of preparation.

What's the best method of fixing this, 1) removing the base coat and starting again, or 2) sand down to remove all paint and PVA the walls then re-skim, or 3) something else.

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Re: Plastering on painted walls
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2005, 6:16pm

4: move house!

Get back to you later H.J. Smiley

IP Logged

HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2005, 9:07pm

Can't move, but then we're not living there. It's a development property.

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2005, 11:44pm

If the backing coat has blown then remove this if in isolated areas then render and skim. If it is just the skim coat that has blown, then scrape of patch up the render and reskim. If though there is wholescale blowing then it would make more sense to hack off the lot amnd start again, perhaps dot and dabbing will save you a lot of hassle if you need to start afresh.

Regards

Robbo.

IP Logged

HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2005, 8:20pm

Thanks. Having had a closer look the other day and more plaster has blown than I initially thought by tapping the walls so dotting&dabbing sounds good, though lots of other places has blown in isolated spots so those I can re-do. Just surprised that the previous plaster skimmed over wallpaper and paint - probably did a quick bodge job and got paid for a proper job knowing that it would last for sometime before any problems appeared.

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2005, 10:40pm

Thing with isolated spots of blown plaster when you disturb them those little spots grow bigger and bigger and bigger! Sad

IP Logged

HandyJon
GDPR opt-out

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2005, 6:03pm

To the stage where you might as well redo the whole wall. Some bits of plaster are quite firm and didn't come off at the slightest touch by my wrecking bar, unlike many other patches. I'll have to put up a picture sometime when I next catalogue my batch of pictures.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print