Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 10:39pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gold trowel (Read 9113 times)
roadblock
GDPR opt-out

gold trowel
Nov 17th, 2004, 1:02pm

Has anyone any experience of this company ? Is the training as good as their forum seems to suggest or is the forum just an advert?
They seem to suggest you can learn in one week with them, what some people spend several years at college to achieve. Just wondering that's all.........

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: gold trowel
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2004, 1:53pm

Sounds suspicious to me, any 'course' which can remove 4/5 years hard study and on the job training HAS to be cutting a big chunk out.  Suppose it depends what you are looking for out of the course though.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2004, 8:49pm

Anyone can learn the theory in a short while but it takes years of practice, practice and more practice to learn any manual skill properly.
Pick up a tool then use it, use it and keep using it til you can use it right without thinking what to do next.
All the reading in the workld will do no good at all unless you have the manual dexterity and inclination to do the job in mind.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2004, 7:30pm

You would not have time in a week to be able to name all the tools and the materials a plasterer would use in only five short days.
Perhaps its possible to learn a bit of d.i.y. spreading but how can anyone learn to scratch coat render, float, skim, dot and dab, use browning, bonding, thistle, carlite, multi finish, renovating, hardwall, dry dash, wet dash,plasterboard, napp, bead up, sponge......... think I will stop now........ anyone who wants to be a plasterer can not just take on a bit of skimming to make a living they need to be able to do it all and to do it all...and well, takes years and years, there are NO shortcuts

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2004, 10:38pm

one thing I've noticed plasterers never seem to have learnt...................

........................how to clean up after a job  Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2004, 10:39pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2004, 10:47pm

Or plaster above doorways

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Croc
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2004, 8:12am

Hi

Robbo mentioned tools

Darbys,you see these for sale all over,but i`ve never see a plasterer use one or have one in his kit

whats it for ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2004, 7:08pm

Darbys were widely used a few years back but most plasterers use a 6ft/8ft  feather edge today.
I have an eight foot Darby but it doesnt get used much, does not leave a render mm perfect like a feather edge can........if your as good as I am that is!! Wink
Jerry D its the bloody brickies that are the site tramps, I refuse to go into a house after em unless it is spotless and when I walk out it is even cleaner, cills, door casings,angles, and floors you can eat the dinner from.
b style what do you mean by above doorways. ??? Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

bstyle
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2004, 8:30pm

Whenever I get a Bathroom skimmed I quite often find that the plasterer leaves the small piece of wall above a doorway, happened on several occasions- the excuse is 'havent got a small enough trowel!'.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2004, 10:48pm

[quote author=Robbo  link=1100696556/0#3 date=1100806225]Perhaps its possible to learn a bit of d.i.y. spreading but how can anyone learn to scratch coat render, float, skim, dot and dab, use browning, bonding, thistle, carlite, multi finish, renovating, hardwall, dry dash, wet dash,plasterboard, napp, bead up, sponge......... [/quote]

They don't attempt to train to be able to do all those things. Only to do the basic run of the mill plastering and even then you do need to have some dexterity to do it. They do teach some of the theory about the other bits but they don't pretend to make you an expert. You still need to practise practise practise. Even then some people have the knack some don't.  Even then most plasterers stick to run of the mill stuff, not even doing any external rendering in their working life - that doesn't make them any less expert a plasterer does it?

Quote:
it is even cleaner, cills, door casings,angles, and floors you can eat the dinner from.

Even inside electrical backboxes?  Wink Which is what most electricians seem to complain about.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2004, 7:54pm

If the sparks will cut and tuck all their wires into the boxes I return the compliment and clean them Wink
If not then no...... if I have to do their job then they can do mine.
Thing with theese week courses John is they seem to give the impression that those doing them can then go out and earn silly amounts of dosh that plasterers are supposed to make, at least that is the impression I get from other posts I have read in the past on various forums, like roadblock stated they sugest that in five days they can teach that which takes several years. Perhaps I am wrong as I have neot seen the gold trowell adverts?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Trade: Handyman

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:05pm

I did a week long plastering course in Croydon http://www.buildertrainingcentre.co.uk and it gave me a basic idea on how to plaster a small wall.  In the real world of big walls, it proved to be an entirely different thing, and far more difficult.  

Still, with the help and advice of guys like Robbo here and some others on ScrewFux (cant remember who exactly - sorry), I can now produce a fairly reasonable finish in the house that I am renovating. I am still very selective on which jobs I take on for customers, but I am getting there.  Did a small one today and it came out lovely! Grin

My advice is go on the course and see if you like it.  If you do, then get LOADS of practice before you start charging people for it!

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

markadams

Reply #12 - Jan 7th, 2005, 8:43am

RoadBlock,

I am fairly familiar with Goldtrowel, the courses they run are very targeted at a certain area of expertise (skimming, rendering etc), they run intensive week courses for each subject.

They are very good courses but very hard work, it is mainly practical, as you will start on the tools from day one.

I would suggest that you first buy the video\dvd and manual from the site and then practice at home, if you like it and want to learn more by having someone watch you work and allow you to ask questions then do the course.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #13 - Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:23am

I reckon it would take you a week of practising just to get the `mix` right 100% for a decent plasterer

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print