Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:08pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing a Wooden Fence into Tarmac? (Read 20035 times)
WiZeR

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Installing a Wooden Fence into Tarmac?
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:58pm

My neighbour and I would like to extend our garden fence up the drive so that it is level with the front of the houses.  The drive is tarmac.  I was wondering the best method of getting through the tarmac to lay the posts?  Is it a case of renting a pnumatic drill?  Or sweating blood and tears with a pick axe?

Your advice would be most apprieciated....

Novice DIY'er
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2005, 10:20am by WiZeR »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Installing a Wooden Fence into Tarmac?
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2005, 5:54pm

I'm not sure about the installation but best check with the planners that you don't need PP to extend the fence forward. Sometimes they are fussy about anything in front of the building line. On some housing estates there are also covenants in the deeds that cause problems.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2005, 10:55pm

When we moved in a neighbour asked the council what height a fence and gate could go up to in the front of the house.
They told him 3'6".
He didnt like his kids being able to go straight out of the front door with no barrier to stop them as they were so young.
When he went to put the fence up he was told that there was a covenant preventing any wall or fence being above 2' because it was an open plan estate.
The drives and paths to the front of the house were apparently the councils responsibility which allowed the bin men to walk to the gate but if they got injured it was on council property so they couldnt claim from you. The same applied to the postmen.
This gradually changed over the years with people starting o put their bins out to stop the binmen coming in and leaving the side gates open to how it is now where the council insist its a kerbside collection so we must take our own bins out.

The covenant expired many years ago but noone has built a wall or fence in the front garden.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

WiZeR

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2005, 10:17am

erm, thanks for the advice on planning.  But what I need to know is how to get get through the tarmac. As per the original post

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2005, 3:43pm

tamac is soft as it comes Wink

a brick hammer /pick axe and trenching shovel is bestbet

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

WiZeR

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2005, 5:08pm

smashing, thanks.

Is there any specific technique to installing fencing?  or is it a case of digging holes, installing the panels and filling the holes with postcrete.  Obviously checking for level.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lay-z
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2005, 11:39pm

pretty much mate, ive always seen holes cut through surfacing about 9 by 9 inch roughly and i think minimum depth of about 14 inches, 4*4 post sunk into the hole, concrete poured in arround it, the post is squared up in all directions and then the cement is packed down arround the post....might need to put some stays in to hold it in place temp whilst the concrete sets (be ok next day)

you could also use post spikes, not sure if they are used with cement or are an alternate fixing...somone will advice

then its left a day, and mount your panels in, using weather proof fixings ofcourse!

and then make good the surface

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2005, 11:48pm

It all depends on how much hardcore is under the tarmac.
You wont get a post spike in through solid rocks and 14 is nowhere near deep enough for a post.
It needs going in 24" to hold firm.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2005, 5:56am

Also I would fit the panels as you go (assuming its a panel fence).  You can't get the spacing wrong then.

You'll need to brace this all along as you go, using scaffold boards or lengths of timber.

And yes, 24" deep post holes.

I've used a post hole borer in the past, a two man job with the big one.  Possibly not suitable for hardcored areas but a very quick way to dig a post hole.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print