Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:16am
Quote: I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stiple Ceiling (Read 4892 times)
ed

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Stiple Ceiling
Jul 11th, 2005, 1:17pm

We have a bay window in the living room with a flat roof above. The problem is that the ceiling is in stiple effect and we want a flat ceiling. Plasterer has been in and has slabbed all of the ceiling accept over the bay as it is concrete and wont take the slab.  He is afraid that the plaster wont stick as the undersurface is fairly powdery. Has anyone any suggestions or is there a product to flatten out the stipple???????

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Re: Stiple Ceiling
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2005, 1:24pm

Screw battens to the underside of the slab and affix plasterboard sounds a good idea here.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2005, 1:20pm

ed be careful with the stippling, some of the older types contain asbestos so I would be wary of sanding it.

Ask you plasterer about bonding plasterboard using plasterboard adhesive, it will need propping in place while it sets but it sticks like the proverbial.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2005, 6:50am

Ed, stiple ceilings over here is done with drywall mud. To remove it we spray it with a bug sprayer or like a fertilixer sprayer with water in it. I dont know what you call it. after we spray we take a dry wall knife and gentle scrape it off. Be careful not to damage the drywall itself. And wear eye gear It will get in you eyes. We have what you cll popcorn ceilings here, you remove the same way.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print