Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:21am
Quote: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Prepping? (Read 12833 times)
The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Prepping?
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:06am

New w/shop - internal walls are bare thermalite blockwork. Was given a large 'trade tub' of emulsion and was thinking of rollering this onto the walls.

Question - how to prep beforehand - Will it be ok to just mix up a solution of PVA and roller this onto the walls to seal first, then paint directly over the top in emulsion?

Ta

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Trade: Decorator

Re: Prepping?
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:41pm

TT
Methinks the PVA will just form a skin on the blocks as opposed to soaking in a bit.  The paint will then be sitting on the PVA.

I think I would thin the emulsion out a bit for the first coat. Don't know how big your workshop is, but the emulsion won't go very far, so be prepared to get some more.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:07pm

Got a 5 gallon tub! Should this be enough?

W/shop is roughly the size of a single garage.

Ta

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:33pm

Job done!  Grin

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2005, 3:45am

What is PVA? I here that so much on the forums.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2005, 4:29pm

At the end of the day (as they say) it is a water based glue.  Many people think that you can use it to seal new plaster prior to painting, which is of course wrong, as it will form a skin and the plaster will not be able to 'breathe'. The paint will then sit on top instead of soaking into the plaster.

Some people seal old plaster with it (diluted) prior to hanging wallpaper. Personaly I have never done this so will not comment on it's efficacy.

I believe the wet trades bang some in their muck as a binding agent, other trades will no doubt comment on that.

I never use the stuff as I don't think it has any use for a decorator.

Bye the way Cait, I have always thought PVA stood for Poly Vinyl Acetate, but I could be wrong on that.  Undecided

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2005, 8:28pm

congrats on 100 posts sfh, and pva is like y'alls wood glue.
(in fact its like ours too isn't it?? lol)
btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2005, 1:40pm

[quote author=sailfishoney  link=1128333989/0#4 date=1128393944]What is PVA? I here that so much on the forums. [/quote]

It's a type of water based glue. Typically used for gluing wood or paper. Usually white but dries almost clear in thin layers. Not all types are waterproof so best used indoors.

Google says...

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2639.html

polyvinyl acetate
A vinyl resin, one of the clear, water-white, thermoplastic synthetic resins produced from its monomer by emulsion polymerization. Polyvinyl acetate, abbreviated PVA , has the advantage over the other resinous adhesives in that it is available in the form of an emulsion that is readily diluted with water, is easily applied, and is safe to use because it contains no flammable solvents. In addition, there is no need to use preservatives or fungicides because it does not deteriorate quickly and is unaffected by mold or fungi. The emulsion does slowly hydrolyze, however, and should not be stored for more than one or two years before use. Freezing also destroys the emulsion; therefore, precautions must be taken to avoid exposing it to temperatures near or below the freezing point.
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005, 1:41pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2005, 9:27pm

Quote:
polyvinyl acetate
A vinyl resin, one of the clear, water-white, thermoplastic synthetic resins produced from its monomer by emulsion polymerization. Polyvinyl acetate, abbreviated PVA , has the advantage over the other resinous adhesives in that it is available in the form of an emulsion that is readily diluted with water, is easily applied, and is safe to use because it contains no flammable solvents. In addition, there is no need to use preservatives or fungicides because it does not deteriorate quickly and is unaffected by mold or fungi. The emulsion does slowly hydrolyze, however, and should not be stored for more than one or two years before use. Freezing also destroys the emulsion; therefore, precautions must be taken to avoid exposing it to temperatures near or below the freezing point.  

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2005, 10:03am

[quote author=Chaddy  link=1128333989/0#8 date=1128544034]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wink [/quote]

Roll Eyes Grin

See what make one person doze off can be of interest to someone else, namely me... I didn't know PVA had a one year shelf life, thanks for that Colin

IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2005, 6:48pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1128333989/0#7 date=1128516042]

polyvinyl acetate
[/quote]

This is most interesting, I shall learn this 'off by heart'.

That way I will no longer be boring at parties.  If things get a little slow I shall just say "Anyone interested in PVA?"..................

Grin Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2005, 6:58pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1128333989/0#10 date=1128620923]
This is most interesting, I shall learn this 'off by heart'.
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one Wink, and the Christmas season will soon be upon us, with all those parties and opportunities to impress with our knowledge of PVA  Grin

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2005, 7:56pm

I don't think you are taking this seriously.  Wink

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #13 - Oct 6th, 2005, 7:57pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1128333989/0#11 date=1128621494]

Glad I'm not the only one Wink, and the Christmas season will soon be upon us, with all those parties and opportunities to impress with our knowledge of PVA  Grin [/quote]

Too right!

I'm going to 'gen up' on Gripfill too, that way I'll be the 'life and soul' of any gathering.............

Grin Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #14 - Oct 6th, 2005, 10:26pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1128333989/0#13 date=1128625033]

Too right!

I'm going to 'gen up' on Gripfill too, that way I'll be the 'life and soul' of any gathering.............

Grin Wink [/quote]

Grin Grin Grin  Lol

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lurch
Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2005, 10:32pm

[quote author=woodsmith  link=1128333989/0#9 date=1128589381]I didn't know PVA had a one year shelf life, [/quote]

Me neither. I'd better start glueing stuff together quick before this large tub of PVA goes off.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2005, 12:14am

Does PVA have a date on it then?  I've never noticed one.

It could have been on the merchants shelf a year before you buy it?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print