Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
worksurfaces (Read 2647 times)
del

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

worksurfaces
Oct 11th, 2005, 1:50pm

whats the best way to cut worksurfaces ,i only have a jigsaw and dont want to chip the laminate
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2005, 3:47pm by del »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

trowelhead
Re: worksurfaces
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005, 6:13pm

It depends on what you want cut!
Do you want a 'hole' (ie for a sink) or a cut to butt up/join 2 lengths?
If its a join i would ask the supplier of the worktop(it doesn't cost too much more to have done) if its a cut out i would wait for somebody better qualified than myself,ie a WOODBUTCHER! Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MarkS
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2005, 8:18pm

You can get special jigsaw blades for laminates but I doubt you will get an immaculate cut.

The professionals seem to use a router and a template.  But it needs to be a decent powerfull router.

If you say what you want to do you should get an answer.

But what do I know I'm in IT.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2005, 10:18pm

if the worktop is over 28MM in depth then DO NOT cut with a jigsaw if cutting to length, even with a "laminate" blade... as the depth will make the blade wander in its stroke!!, also things like the blade sharpness can have quite a barring on the matter in hand!! so as asked is it a cut to length, or a cut "OUT" for sink/appliance!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2005, 11:04pm

Bl**dy big good quality router everytime! I even use it for the sink cutouts. Takes alittle longer than using the circular saw and jigsaw but gives a far better finish. Looks more professional and gives me a chance to show off my router skills.  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

del

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2005, 10:44am

[quote author=WOLF  link=1129035050/0#3 date=1129065525]if the worktop is over 28MM in depth then DO NOT cut with a jigsaw if cutting to length, even with a "laminate" blade... as the depth will make the blade wander in its stroke!!, also things like the blade sharpness can have quite a barring on the matter in hand!! so as asked is it a cut to length, or a cut "OUT" for sink/appliance!! [/quote]

both really

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print