Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:59am
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Bathroom wall panels (Read 14522 times)
jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Bathroom wall panels
Jan 29th, 2006, 12:46pm

A friend of mine wants her bathroom walls sorted out.

They currently have that marble-effect panelling (sorry, don't know what it's called) stuck up on the walls. The sort with the beads running vertically up at each internal corner - like a veneer surface.

With the right priming, is it possible to paint over these panels?

If so, there are small crack/gaps between some of the panels so what's the best way to fill these so that they don't show up through the paint?

Any thoughts please!

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Bathroom wall panels
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2006, 12:01am

personnally i would remove these as they will move with any moisture so all edges would crack etc, but i will pmn our resident trade decorater and get him to answer your question more fully than i can!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2006, 10:16am

Thanks.

I should add that the bathroom never has a condensation problem (they always leave the window open a bit - even in winter) and the bath is free-standing so there are no splash problems.

Is there an equivalent to the scrim tape (that plasterers use between plasterboards) that could be run down the joins between the panels before painting?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2006, 7:37pm

Jim, can't say that I am familiar with the panelling you describe, but assume that it is like a Formica type surface, ie: smooth, non porus and shiny.

It can certainly be painted, but will require priming first. I suggest Zinsser 1-2-3, which can be painted straight on the panelling without sanding first.

What worries me are the joins. The panels are just butted up next to each other I suppose. I'm kinda thinking that whatever you do will show. If you tape and fill it will show, and if you sand the joints down and fill them, and resand them, they might last a short while, but with the humidity rising and falling, and things expanding and contracting, I don't think it would last long.

I go along with Wolfie, I think it would be best to remove the panelling, get back to the original substrate and start again from scratch.

I know it's all agg, but you only get out of a job, what you put in to it.

Hope this has been of some help.

Modified;
!0 minutes later... after filling the joints, and the panelling is primed, I suppose you could line the walls with a good lining paper, say-1400 grade, seal it with a coat of emulsion and finish with your choice of paint.
will give that further consideration.  Undecided
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2006, 7:49pm by hammy »  

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2006, 12:18pm

Thanks for your help!

Any recommendations for a good filler? I guess it needs to be flexible - and maybe waterproof?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2006, 5:51pm

Have spoken to my friend and she wants to do the cheapest option (no surprise there - customers, eh?  Wink )

Have checked out the Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer. Can I put on the first top coat after the primer's been up one hour then?

How about Drapers Decorators Flexible Filler for the cracks between panels? Are there any better alternatives?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2006, 6:13pm

[quote author=jimcam  link=1138538810/0#5 date=1138729913]Have spoken to my friend and she wants to do the cheapest option [/quote]

If she stripped off (I mean the old stuff) would it be much more expensive?
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2006, 6:13pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2006, 6:35pm

[quote author=jimcam  link=1138538810/0#5 date=1138729913]
Have checked out the Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer. Can I put on the first top coat after the primer's been up one hour then?
[/quote]

Long as the room is not cold and damp, no problem.
Hope you have warned her, the joints are going to show.  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2006, 6:37pm by hammy »  

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2006, 6:55pm

Cwatters, the walls could need skimming (and probably bonding plaster before that) if the panels are removed. The cladding material is used around the window reveal too.

Obviously, plastering would be more expensive.

Unless I'm missing an alternative to replastering?  ???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2006, 1:47am

Yes probably expensive if it doesn't come off clean. I guess I just hate to see stuff on stuff. Never seems satisfactory somehow.  

How about plain white tiles? Ebay has some at £4 a square meter. Still not as cheap as paint though. Do all the walls have this marbled surface?

IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2006, 9:42am

Yes, all four walls (and the window reveal) down to about waist height where there's wooden panelling to the floor.

She's not interested in tiles really. The bath's free-standing in the middle of the room so splashing is not an issue. The room never gets steamed up either so I think she feels that tiles are a bit over the top.

Most of the panels are very well fixed but there's inevitably a hairline gap between most of them and slightly wider ones on a couple.

I'm hoping a flexible filler, sanded well, will cope with the cracks. The primer's flexible too so it should cope with minor movements in the panels.

I know what you mean about working over the top of other stuff. If it was my place, I'd get rid of the cladding and replaster.  Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #11 - Feb 1st, 2006, 9:03pm

Just had a thought  Jimcam, what about, seeing as you are to paint the panels, and the lower section of the walls are timber panelled, why not try gripfilling, (with aid of a few thin panel pins if needed) a matching wood trim over the joint!!!, it will give a feature, and hide any movement cracks!!... it is only an idea!!!!  Smiley

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2006, 9:27pm

Lateral thinking, if you can't disguise it, make a feature of it.

I like it.  Smiley

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Feb 1st, 2006, 10:15pm

sorry to have to say this Hammy, but not Lateral thinking .... Vertic....al......... got me coat!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:54am

Thanks Wolf, but I don't know what gripfilling is?!  ???

Also, what's the best thing to use to paint on these wall panels? Roller? Pad? Brush?

Also, is that Polycell BaseCoat any good for hiding these panel joins?

(Don't worry, I'll stop asking questions eventually!)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 3:17pm

Gripfill is a trade name for the all purpose builders adhesive in a tube, like your silicone for doing bathrooms/decoraters filler etc!!!
as for the paint type/base coat etc, i wil let Hammy handle that one, it is his area of speciality!!!

and as for asking questions, don't worry dear chap!!, after all ....that is the whole point of this forum being here!! !!!!! asking questions!!!,

a brave man will attempt the work, while a wise one, will ask the pondering question!!!!!!

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:13pm

It's difficult to give advice when you can't see the job. one man's small gap is anothers chasm. Some descisions are made by looking at a job and it just feels right to use a or b.

I haven't seen it, but I have a gut instinct that I would use one of the two pack fillers like Isopon P 80. It can be pushed into a gap and rubbed down to produce a smooth finish that's not too porus.

I would use a brush for the painting, I would use an inch and half Purdey for cutting in to the ceiling, round window etc, and a four inch Hamilton to fill in the rest.
They are my brushes of choice as I use them every day, but you would not want to spend that much on a brush if you are not going to keep using it. Cheaper brushes are available of course, but don't go and get the really cheap stuff.

I suppose something from the middle of the  Harris range would do you a treat.

As wolfie says, ask away, it's the only way you find things out.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:45pm

Thanks again, fellas.

Like the gripfill/wood trim idea, Wolf. I'll put it to her.

Hamilton, thanks for the brush advice. Do you know where I can get the Zinsser 1-2-3 primer you recommended? I've seen a website but it could take up to 5 days to turn up and I'm due to do the job on Sunday. And is Isopon P 80 freely available?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:03pm

The zinsser should be available at any trade shop, I don't think you will find it in the sheds. If I cant get Zinsser I use one called 'Paint it' which is a Canadian paint.

The Ronseal Woodcare System uses a two pack filler, which is essentially the same thing but a lot dearer, trade shops generally carry a similar product. If you can't get it, pop in Halfords, it's the more or less the same as the car body filler.

Where abouts are you in this lovely country Jim?

(The Ronseal filler can be bought in any of the sheds.)

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #19 - Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:46am

Thanks, Hamilton. I'm in East Sussex - just over the Kent border, near Tunbridge Wells.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2006, 12:32pm

Got hold of Cuprinol's equivalent of the Ronseal Wood Care system (2 step) - couldn't find the Ronseal one. Got me some Bullseye 123 too so I'm all set for the job tomorrow.  Cheesy

Thanks for your advice everyone - I'll let you know how I got on!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2006, 9:32am

Finished this job last week.

Thanks to all your advice, it went pretty well.  Smiley

The only prob I had was when I strayed from your advice, Hamilton. After I had a couple of coats of bathroom paint on and dry I tried a pad for extra speed but it smeared all over the place so I returned to the brush.

Oh, and I'm never using B&Q paint again!  Angry

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2006, 2:59pm

B & Q paint, is just like Albany, bloody see thro!!!! Grin

need about 20 coats just to build up some colour!!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2006, 2:59pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print