Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 8:26pm
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Damp wall behind tiles. (Read 12648 times)
jonhp19
GDPR opt-out

Damp wall behind tiles.
Feb 25th, 2006, 3:19pm

Hi there

I am currently in the process of redecorating my bathroom and have come across some lose tiles, some of which have come off the wall completely. In one particular area along the top edge of my bath where the shower water tends to spray, not only have the tiles come off but the plaster behind the tile was damp and soft enough to literally peel off the wall, which has now left a clay damp like finish to the wall. What are my options here? I would appreciate any help. I have posted three photos of the area that has been affected.

Thank you

Jonathan

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Re: Damp wall behind tiles.
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2006, 3:30pm

All you ever wanted to know about tiling :
http://www.ytc-tiles.com/articles/bal-tiling-guide.pdf
Rip the lot off, get it rendered flat, then start again following the advice from the boys at BAL (seal it, tank it, tile it). Good luck

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2006, 3:32pm

Also, as you have the shower in the bath, while you have the bath panels off you might like to block up under the bath to give it a bit more support, stops it moving around so much.

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:01am

Looking at the state of it the water has been getting behind the tiles for quite some time.

You say you are decorating are you ripping of and replacing the tiles?

If you are then you can do it properly as stated above if not i would re stick with a waterproof adhesive and regrout the entire bathroom. The existing grout looks like it could do with refreshing anyway Grin

Once youve grouted. Then fill the bath with water and silicone around the bath where it meets the tiles. ~Once the silicone is cured you can let the water out of the bath. Grin

You also should run a bead of silicone up the corner of the wall where the tiles meet together.

IP Logged

jonhp19
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2006, 7:22pm

Yes the water has been getting behind the tiles for some time, infact I think when they built the place in the early 90’s – only a bath was installed and not a shower, so water was not meant to be sprayed on the tiles. I’ve only been living in the flat for the last 3 years and to be honest, I’m really looking to do a quick repair job and keep the costs down as much as possible as I intend to sell up and move out soon, besides there’s no way I could afford to strip the whole lot out and start again and I couldn’t do it myself either, so I would have to have it done by a professional, which would only cost me more. I guess I can only do the best I can myself and leave it to that.

IP Logged

sailfishoney
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2006, 6:03am

Hi John, look close at the grout joints, the mildew is your best hint. You can clean the joints and the mildew keeps coming back no matter what. Thats a sure indication of a water leak. first what is causing. Tear everthing out. Tiling a bathroom the right way really is not that expensive. you'all water proof differently there. I won't tell you how to do things so you can escape out easy and cheap because your moving, People can get very sick with black mold even die.Get rid of the mold with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. cement board (durrock) the walls 5 sheets $50   4 boxes of tile $44
a bucket of mastic/glue, $17 dollars, a box of drywall screws $5, and a bag of unsanded groit $7  and $3 fore a tube of caulking, That's $131. Can't  by the way people don't realize a minute pin hole in the joiunts can cause tremendous damage to the walls. Regular maintance is a must. Smiley water also gets in from a window, bad pipes, through the grout joints, and in some cases from a bad roof
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2006, 6:06am by sailfishoney »  

IP Logged

BigT
Trade Member

sh*t Happens

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2006, 5:30am

Now heres a question for you plasterers, decorators etc.

Ive seen many a TV program where they plaster the walls then either paint or tile sometimes even the same day. Now surely you have to wait for the plaster to dry for at least a couple of days till plaster looks sort of light pink & not redish. Ive been told there is a paint you can paint onto walls even same day of plastering, surely your holding damp in and possible problems later.

Is this right Im just interested

Regards T

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparkyjonny
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2006, 5:50pm

Isn't trade paint for new plaster suitable, doubt it's a good idea to apply it after less than a week?  I guess a dehumidifier helps.  They are DIY programs though - the work is designed to last the length of the show.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2006, 12:28pm

Trade paint should not be confused with contract or supermatts

A contract paint is for all round contracting really, not the best quality, but priced or the job. Usually has good obliterating power.

For the new plaster, supermatt or covermatt emulsion can be put on before the paint has fully dried. It is water permeable, so the moisture comes out through the paint without pushing it off.
Vinyl is not water permeable, so should not be used on new plasterwork. (Unless it is just a thin skim coat, and then not til it's dry.)

Trade paint is sometimes thought to be of not so good quality. This is not true, it is a different quality, made for the professional user.

Quite often it is more expensive than 'normal' paint.
The stuff you buy from the sheds, has a 'built in body' so the diy'er can paint without getting runs, or to use the technical term, snots.

Trade paint can often be in the back of a van for a long while, thickening up in the cold weather. This can be thinned without losing any of the body. Thin 'normal' paint and you can be prone to runs.

As regards those poxy jobs on the television, well I have seen some in the flesh, and believe me, if a decorator did work like that in your house, you would have him out the door in a flash.

And when the cameras are off, that's when the mob go in to make sure it's finished in twenty four hours.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print