Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 7:03pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
installing a shower grab bar (Read 4730 times)
murray
GDPR opt-out

installing a shower grab bar
Apr 20th, 2006, 6:43am

I need to drill some holes in older (circa 1976) ceramic shower stall tiles, to install a grab bar (for old gaffers like me). Any advice?
I have been told to make a small starter nick with a sharp object, and not to drill in the cracks between tiles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Murray

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: installing a shower grab bar
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2006, 8:55am

Sticking a piece of masking tape over where you want to drill will help prevent the drill from "wandering" as you start to drill. I always like to drill a small pilot hole first with a very sharp masonry bit.

There are special drill bits available for drilling in tiles but a good sharp masonry bit normally works ok.

It is a good idea to avoid drilling the joins, it can splinter the tile.

Some tiles will drill easily others are so hard nothing seems to scratch them. Do not resort to using the hammer action, this is NOT a good idea. Just be patient and don't let the drill bit run too hot.

This is one of the 5 minute jobs that can take all day Roll Eyes Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2006, 9:02am

Hello Murray welcome to the forum Grin

If you put some tape on the wall where you want to drill the hole this will stop the drill bit skidding across the tile!!

Then use a masonary bit on a slow speed with no hammer Tongue

Once your through the glaze on the tile you can increase the speed.

One other tip once the holes are drilled make sure the plug is set below the level of the tile otherwise when you tighten the screw you run the risk of the tile cracking Angry

Good luck and let us know how you get on Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

murray
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2006, 9:53am

Much obliged for the replies. I'll try it as soon as I get the "boss"'s OK as to where she wants it put.

Do you think it's better to put the bar (about 24" long) at the side of the tub, or at the end, under the shower head?

Your replies are appeciated.

Murray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2006, 10:14am

[quote author=murray  link=1145518937/0#3 date=1145523208]Much obliged for the replies. I'll try it as soon as I get the "boss"'s OK as to where she wants it put.

Do you think it's better to put the bar (about 24" long) at the side of the tub, or at the end, under the shower head?

Your replies are appeciated.

Murray

[/quote]

Murray theres no right or wrong place for it. You need to fit it where it will benefit you most.

I recently fitted one for my mother in law and she found it was best at the side of the bath to help her get up and out. Grin

Basically got her to sit in the bath,FULLY CLOTHED and worked out where she needed it fitted.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2006, 9:43pm

Hi Murry and welcome, an other little tip if placing this grab rail around the shower end, is to use a little dab of silicone on the screw thrtead, and around the screw hole when siting the item, it will help stop water ingress!!!

(just recently done this job for my elderly parents!!! (nightmare!!- 11 differing opinions of WHERE it should be put from the pair of them!!)  Angry Angry Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ChippyMal

I'll cum in a minute!!!!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2006, 10:07pm

I would've put em 11 grab rails up wolf Grin

On the subject of inlaws I found my first mother in law very ungrateful.

I got her a lovely chair................
She wouldn't let me plug it in Grin

To be serious (is that possible Roll Eyes)
If tiles are hard I always start with a smaller masonry bit, no hammer ( 4.35mm tapcon bit is great) though any 4mm ish, then enlarge to 7mm for brown plugs, and as mentioned above make sure plug is below tile level.

Mal

The wife and I have a give and take relationship....................I give and she takes!!!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2006, 11:36pm

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I'd recommend the proper tile drill bits.  They only cost a pound or two and work well.

I use them in a cordless drill on slowish speed so fully in control.  They cut through the glaze without any fear of cracking the tile.

There are three or four sizes available, get the one to suit the plugs you're using.

If the wall is Celcon or similar I use the tile drill to drill the whole hole (whole hole?).... including into the wall so no need for the masonry drill.

I use this method for fixing shower equipment.  Never fails  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 11:36pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print