Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 10:14pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting in and rolling (Read 6688 times)
jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Cutting in and rolling
May 19th, 2006, 10:34pm

Whenever I cut in and then roller emulsion - on walls or ceilings - the bit I've brushed/cut in always seems to be darker than the bit I've rollered. Even with brilliant white paint.

Any idea why this would happen?

And should you cut in along the length of the ceiling line or down from the ceiling in short strokes?

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Cutting in and rolling
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2006, 12:41am

probably because a roller will spread a nice EVEN , but thinner coat of paint, than a brush , when cutting in is usually quite well loaded with paint, so you get a thicker coat when cutting in a round a ceiling etc!!!

which is probably why i was taught to cut in once, roller twice!!!

i was also taught to cut in along the edge, not away from it!!!

i do however reserve the right to be corrcted by Hammy, our resident picaso!!!! (no doubt!!) Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2006, 12:42pm

Sometimes it can happen the other way, the cutting in looks lighter ( called  Grinning), its just a matter of getting the balance.
Sometimes when you paint the ceiling you get some of the white on the edges of the walls, in a way its a good thing, cause it makes it easier to cut in with the colour, but what also can happen is, that that extra bit of paint thats on the top of the wall by the ceiling, will make it look darker when you apply the colour.

also you are rolling into as near to the ceiling on the bit you have already cut in, so you are getting extra paint on the cutting in bit.

Perhaps you should apply a thin cutting in first, then go round again cuttin in, then roll.

I find you get a nicer finish when you are putting your top coat on, to cut in and roll one wall at a time, then there is less chance of getting that dried looking edge if you cut in the whole room, then you rolled. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2006, 11:13pm

Seconded.  Grin

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2006, 5:58pm

Thanks folks.  Smiley

Do you cut in up to the ceiling, down from the ceiling or along the ceiling line?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2006, 9:35pm

Horizontally along the ceiling line.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2006, 8:45am

Jim, cutting in is when you paint like hammy says along the ceiling, and down your sides, and along the the top of the skirtings, once you have done that, you just roll into it.
I find its better to start your rolling on the bare bit of the wall, and work into the cutting in, as your couple of first spreads with the roller is quite thick, dont spread the paint into the cutting in first, as will defiantely make the edges thicker in colour, as the paint on your roller is quite thick, after a couple of spreads, the paint on the roller gets thinner, then you roll into the cutting in, (thats how I do it)
I always at the end of the spread, get the roller, and roll very carefully as close as I can to the edge of the cutting, so I dont see too much of the cutting in made by the brush. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2006, 10:57am

Thanks Hammy and Cora. I'll try it that way.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

gilam
Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:09pm

Hi, I have experienced the exact same proble, I should have looked here before starting, is there any thing that can be done to rectify situation. ie an extra coat just where the roller covered?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #9 - Aug 3rd, 2006, 9:04am

If your not happy with the finish do it again, even I sometimes do a room, and there could be just the one wall that dont look right, and I will do it again, I have done the same on the other walls, but for some reason one wall isnt as good, so I do it again.
Dont dab here and there, do the whole wall again, cut in top and bottom, and the sides, then roll into it, so you dont get that cutting in edge, but, when you come to rolling into the cutting edge bit, dont   heavy roll that bit.

I did an apprenticship, and I learned a lot, and passed my C&G, but it wasnt until I was working with the old boys and they passed on little tips, that I actually learned the proper way of painting.
One old boy told me to cut in with a 1" brush at the top, I laughed at him, until he explained why, that you dont see so much of the actual brush marks with a 1", I did do it, and it was better, but took ages, and then would go on to cut in with a 3 or 4" brush, and then would work the roller very gently up into the cutting in to get rid of the brush line, but I would do it quite thinly, then roll as normal.

If you have a ridge already with the cutting in, and you want to paint the whole wall again, then rub down the ridge bit, cut in again, then do like I said above, and you should be fine.

I hate when people say 'if you can pi55 you can paint', yes thats true in a way, any one can paint, but painting a perfect wall is an art, and comes with practice and experience, there are so many factors to consider, your roller, what paint you use, how much thinning, how quick you are, and of course what are your walls like.

This is why on my final coat, I cut in and roll one wall at a time, and you will get a much better finish all round.

if you have to paint the walls agin, and your skirtings is already been glossed etc, just be careful you dont get any splashes on then and if you do wipe off.
The trick is in this situation is to wet your skirting first with a cloth, not a damp cloth, but quite wet, then paint your wall, then wipe your skirtings again, the first wet, stops any blobs or drips  from settling on the skirtings,and the last wipe just makes sure that none have stayed there. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimbocam
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2006, 8:05pm

Nice tips(!), cora.  Wink

I've tried keeping a damp jay-cloth in my back pocket when cutting in emulsion near glossed wood. If I get any emulsion on the gloss I just wipe it off straight away.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #11 - Sep 11th, 2006, 7:14pm

i cannot cut in using emulsion.i've just emulsioned the kitchen and it looks like i've used a twig in the corners.gloss paint is not a problem,it flows into the corner but matt emulsion needs to be spread and i get uneven edges.can anyone offer any tips,e.g.what type an size of brush is best,paint l to r or r to l,load the brush or not etc.all replies gratefully received.

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2006, 9:03am

For cutting in emulsion paint to the ceiling line or to another colour, I use an inch and a half Purdey.

It makes no difference wether you cut in left to right or right to left, whatever you feel comfortable with is good. Dont load the brush up too much, just dip it in the paint, tap it on the side of the paint kettle, ( not straight from the can) and away you go.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2006, 10:23pm

thanx hamilton

one more question,i recently lost (literally) my best roller.it was real mohair and did a really nice job but i'm struggling to replace it.are they still available?i bought a short pile roller but it does'nt seem to put enough paint on the wall and the long pile ones are a bit thin.any suggestions?

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2006, 7:11am

Go along to your local decorators shop and invest in a couple of lambswool sleeves, they are brilliant and last forever, you get a lovely finish, and they hold quite a bit of paint, you wont get them in a DIY store.
I bought a job lot about 2 years ago, and still have about 6, they last forever, the trick is to give them a quick wash first, then dry them, then use them. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print