Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:24am
Quote: People never say 'It's only a game' when they're winning.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Painting bare walls (Read 15256 times)
new_boy
GDPR opt-out

Painting bare walls
Jun 27th, 2006, 11:51pm

I am re-decorating my kitchen and the wallpaper has been stripped, and the holes filled.
I intend to paint directly onto the bare plaster, which is in good condition.rather than re-paper.
should i do anything  to the walls before painting them.
i want to use a satin finish emulsion if possible

IP Logged

Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Re: Painting bare walls
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2006, 3:12am

Thin the first coat (no more than 10%) with water. Read the instructions on the can - thoroughly.
You can get special paints for bathrooms / kitchens that withstand moisture better & are washable.
Good luck

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2006, 4:59pm

When you have finished the making good and rubbed it down, it's worthwhile touching it up with some matt emulsion and letting it dry before applying the silk emulsion. A satin or silk emulsion will tend to highlight any imperfections, so make sure you make a good job of the preparation. (filler tends to show through silk emulsion, thats why I said touch it up with matt).

The kitchen and bathroom paint that Twobarrows mentions, is essentially acrylic eggshell.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2006, 11:18pm

Quote:
filler tends to show through silk emulsion, thats why I said touch it up with "MATT").

i have nothing to do with this!!!! Angry Angry

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2006, 7:53am

[quote author=hamilton  link=1151448679/0#2 date=1151510388]When you have finished the making good and rubbed it down, it's worthwhile touching it up with some matt emulsion and letting it dry before applying the silk emulsion. A satin or silk emulsion will tend to highlight any imperfections, so make sure you make a good job of the preparation. (filler tends to show through silk emulsion, thats why I said touch it up with matt).

The kitchen and bathroom paint that Twobarrows mentions, is essentially acrylic eggshell. [/quote]

I second that. Smiley

Not only does filler show through silk, but can show through matt also, unless like hamilton says you 'spot the filler', whack some paint paint on the filled bits with a brush a couple of times, before you roll, cause if you have biggish lumps of filler the roller can lift the filler when rolled directly on it, and will make a right mess of your roller.

What I do when I have big lumps of filled areas, is I whack a bit of diluted PVA on them, then I spot it, then I roll, this seals this filled bits and prevents the filler from crumbling, as it did happen in the past, so I make sure it never happens again lol.

I know people swear by silk or soft sheen for kitchens, but I never use it, I have always used matt, unless its for a client and they want silk etc.
I think silk is horrible, it shows up every lump,and  indents, and unless you have a pukka smooth walls it can look awful.

I  buy a good quality Matt, like Dulux, they have one out that has teflon in it, I forget what its called, but apparently its 10 times stronger and better, and its wipeable, and dont fade the paint after you have wiped it.
Infact all Dulux matt is wipeable now, but this one is the Bees knees, costs a few bob more, but well worth it.

Baby wipes or wet wipes are great for getting marks off your freshly painted walls. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2006, 9:45am

Now Cora has mentioned it, silk emulsion does look a bit naff on walls. It's OK on a textured paper because it highlights the texture, but it tends to look a bit 'clinical'.

Matt looks better.

(No, not you Wolfie, calm down).  Wink

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2006, 2:46pm

Cora, the Dulux with the teflon has a label saying TOUGHGUARD on it!!!! ( just had to buy some at clients request!!!!  GAWD!!)

and Hammy i am calm, you may not be .... check out your apprentices, trade paint page!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2006, 10:45pm

when my mate did my kitchen  he used matt emulsion but glazed it or something so that it was hardwearing and could be wwiped down etc

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2006, 11:41pm

Matt or shiny glaze Scotty?

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2006, 11:44pm

matt

he did the same/ something similar when he did my new built in wardrobes (MDF) painted them with matt paint (emulsion i think but not sure) then coted them with something and still left a matt finish

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2006, 1:31am

Sounds like fresh air, how much extra did he charge? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2006, 1:36am

hee haw he's a mate he charges me nowt and when i do his leccy work i charge him nowt Grin

IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2006, 7:10am

[quote author=scotspark  link=1151448679/0#9 date=1151621069]matt

he did the same/ something similar when he did my new built in wardrobes (MDF) painted them with matt paint (emulsion i think but not sure) then coted them with something and still left a matt finish [/quote]

He probably used a Matt clear varnish , Whenever I have painted MDF wardrobes, I have always used oil-based undercoat, and the top coats either eggshell, or satinwood,all oil-based, this also gives it extra protection, from the undercoat through to the topcoat, and it gives it a really nice finish.

I have on occasion, cause client bought it, the paint made for MDF, but to me the finish wasnt as nice.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2006, 9:17pm

Come on Cora, you need one more post for a century.  Smiley

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2006, 8:24pm

Just read your message hammy, didnt realise how many posts I had, Smiley how many do I have to have before I lose the newbie title.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #15 - Jul 1st, 2006, 8:27pm

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

new_boy
Reply #16 - Jul 1st, 2006, 9:56pm

Thanks for all your tips guys. there isnt really any large holes to fill just nail holes and general knocks in the plaster, I will seal all the walls with pva before painting, i will be using a soft sheen finish. Not all your cup of tea but its what I prefer

thanks again for your help

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print