Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:39am
Quote: Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rivened & honed slate (Read 3680 times)
robg87
GDPR opt-out

rivened & honed slate
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:52pm

I have a 23 m2 project of rivened & honed slate, what is the best way of installing this material (regarding sealing etc)

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: rivened & honed slate
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006, 4:29pm

I don't think all slate takes sealer. Read somewhere that it's not porus enough. Best ask the supplier what they reccomend for that particular stone/source.

I suspect it may help other people to know which room you are going to install the stone in

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2006, 10:47pm

don't put riven slate on your floor,it looks like a patio in your house!i nearly fell for the must have latest thing gumpf until i noticed the tile sheds could not shift the stuff.a neighbour put brazilian (short thin strips?)slate in his kitchen and although he did a good job laying them it looks like s!!t
now honed slate is another matter but at about 60 quid a meter for good stuff------
limestone tiles will be the next thing.argos will be selling them soon along with brown leather sofas and wood and stainless steel kitchens

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2006, 7:40am

Nothing wrong with riven slate in a kitchen or any other floor for that matter if its laid well like this Wink

I assume you are using the two surfaces on the same floor?

Sealing will depend on the look you want. If you want to keep the slate looking like it is out of the box/crate then something like Lithofin MN Stainstop will do the job. If you want it to have more of a sheen and enhance the colour (wet the slate with water to get an idea of the look) then something like Lithofin MN Slateseal will work well. Don't be tempted to buy cheap sealers like plasplug or even Lidls Sad

http://www.extensive.co.uk/section.php?xSec=18

Apply sealer after laying then again after grouting.

Also remove any loose layers from the slate before laying and grade them for thickness if possible, a wide joint helps prevent oneven edges.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2006, 9:36pm

Went to see a stone seller last week. Seller warned me off slate in a kitchen saying it was too hard to keep cleen.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2006, 10:21pm

virtually every tile shed warned me about slate on a kitchen floor,difficult to clean,tricky to lay unless its graded for thickness and some slate will laminate if its in a high use situation. i laid 22 metres of 450 sq satin porcelain on my kitchen floor which provides a good flat background for the cabinets and worktops.it cleans easily with floor cleaner and the satin finish is much less slippy than gloss.but it still looks nowhere near as good as the honed slate

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print