Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:22am
Quote: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help me speed up my painting, please (Read 4996 times)
greenstratman
GDPR opt-out

help me speed up my painting, please
Aug 17th, 2006, 6:05pm

hi

just put the first colour coat on.  took about 5 hours.  the room is about 9 x 10 an is l shaped with a 12" x 12" chimney running through it.  rad bracket to go around and 2 doors to around.  the ceiling is standard height, about 8 foot.

cutting in with 1" brush.  9 x 13/4 roller with medium pile(has what looks like hairy wool coming off the plastic centre tube.  using dulux matt emulsion.

at my wits end, it's had 1 sealing coat, 1 further coat of white.  obiously the base coats were quicker with no cutting.  i always white out a wall before painting the colour on, is this a waste of time? seems to make the tops coats look nice and bright.

cheers

kevin
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2006, 6:06pm by grenstratman »  

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: help me speed up my painting, please
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2006, 6:48pm

I'm not a pro/trade but the way I do it is to cut in with quite a large brush (2" or 2.5" ish) and paint a strip about 2-3" wide as I go. Then I roller. The wider strip makes it's easier to roll upto the edge without getting any on the ceiling. I use an extension handle on the roller so I don't have to use a setp ladder.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2006, 6:54pm

Hi green, I cant seem to make out what is the problem  Undecided Is it your not happy with the finish ?

if so, go back and do another coat, for your top/final coat the best way to get a nice finish it to paint one wall at a time, cut in top and bottom, and sides, then roll that one wall, then move to the next wall, and you should have the finish you want. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greenstratman
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2006, 7:15pm

cheers, no i'm looking to improve my speed.  i always get a good finish, you watch it go tits up this time!!

getting a bit sick now.  but i have bonded out artex, stripped and dry lined winow reveal and re skimmed whole room, including truing up crap walls.

oh well, cheers.

kevin.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimbocam
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2006, 7:54pm

I noticed a real difference in speed when I tried using a 'fatter' roller.

The greater surface area means it can hold and apply more paint per visit to the paint tray.

Paint pads can be really quick too but in my experience they are only really good for applying a new coat to a similarly colour painted wall.

Can't help with speeding up the cutting in though. That's what always slows me down!  Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2006, 9:20am

Just paint faster.  Huh

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2006, 11:24am

Quote:
I noticed a real difference in speed when I tried using a 'fatter' roller.

The greater surface area means it can hold and apply more paint per visit to the paint tray.

Paint pads can be really quick too but in my experience they are only really good for applying a new coat to a similarly colour painted wall.

Can't help with speeding up the cutting in though. That's what always slows me down!  Sad

It takes pratice to speed up  Smiley I am very fast at cutting in and rolling, and I use a 3-4" for cutting in, but thats only cause I have been doing it for years.
I love painting doors, especially panel doors, and I always paint them by brush, and I can do a door easily in 7-10 mins, but I am a fast worker, I cannot slowdown lol, the only disadvantage I have over the men painters is that I havent the arm strength when it comes to rolling.
I only use a 9" roller, but cause I am fast I can cover  a lot, but I do ache at times on my shoulders and arms, cause I am only little and slim build.

I remember many years ago I was scratching around for work, and I walked past a building site, building new houses, and could see that they were due to be painted so I went in to ask for a job, after the foreman picked himself up of the floor when he new it was for me, he said ok, I'll give you a go, still laughing his head off, I'll give you a morning, and if your no good I will send you down the road.

He wanted to try me out my woodwork work first, so he gave me a 6 panel door to gloss, it had already been undercoated, he said I will be back in 10 mins or so before your finished,
He came back in 10 and the door was finished, and he was suprised that I had finished it and was standing around waiting for him.

So he gave me permanant work, till the houses were done anyway, He had his own men in, from wherever and they had digs or something, I was the only one that was local.

He gave us all a house each to do, ceiling walls woodwork, filling or the prep etc, and it was from scratch, and I could not work out how all the men done much more than me at the end of the day.
I could understand that they used bigger rollers, and thier hands were like shovels, and some of them were big blokes, but I was going like the clappers and they still were faster than me, not only faster but seemed to be a lot further ahead in the job than me, and it was a puzzle.

After a week or so of couldnt work out how the hell they were doing it, I then realised that they were sleeping on the job, and what they were doing was working till 8-9 at night, and sleeping in one of the houses on sleeping bags. Shocked .

I did feel a lot better when I found that out, but by then every part of my body was aching, I could hardly walk, my fingers were all bleeding, my arms and shoulders were so sore, cause I never had the upper body strength that they had.

But I would never do new work again, not only is it a killer, but I dont like the substandard practices they wanted us painters to do, his men  didnt mind, but I did, as I dont work like that, but it was a great experiences for me, but never again lol, I will stick to my domestic work. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2006, 6:00pm

Why is everybody so concerned with speed?  The faster you go, the faster the quality goes.  Roll Eyes

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2006, 6:23pm

Maybe in some cases hammy, but if you have always worked fast, it comes second nature to you.
Even in doors I am like a whirlwind, I walk as though I am in a marathon, I speak quite fast, everything about is fast, I get so much done in a job, and the quality is still there, cause I am used to working like that.

I know I am a prime candidate for a heart attack the speed I go, but I cant slow down, its the way I am made.

I am a mature woman, I wont see 40 again  Roll Eyes, but I have the energy that would put 20 year olds to shame. Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2006, 8:58pm

Quote:
I am a mature woman, I wont see 40 again  Roll Eyes, but I have the energy that would put 20 year olds to shame. Grin

Shocked
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2006, 8:59pm by hammy »  

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2006, 9:17pm

I'm just going to have a cold shower  Roll Eyes

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1