Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 6:56pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiling a shower enclosure (Read 9159 times)
AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Tiling a shower enclosure
Sep 5th, 2006, 1:25pm

Hi,

The continuing saga of my bathroom...

I've installed a new shower tray and had been planning to simply continue the tiling from the rest of the room round and into the shower enclosure (in one corner of the room).  I then got thinking about what might happen a few years down the line if/when water eventually gets in though the grouting and soaks the plasterboard wall behind.

So,  I started looking at alternatives to tiles for the shower area.  There seem to be quite a few products to choose from; from solid sheets of resin type materials (Corian type of stuff), to laminated plywood and MDF and also lengths of plastic cladding which clip together to create the width required.

I decided that the cost of the resin or laminate options will be too great (it would cost me £200+ just for the shower area) so ordered a few samples of the plastic cladding.  Unfortunately, in my opinion (sorry if anyone reading this likes the stuff), it just looks really cheap and nasty (although it isn't particularly cheap) and I'm not convinced that the joins would actually be waterproof.

So, I'm back to sqaure one and tiling it again.

Does anyone know of any laminate products that are not too expensive (or any suitable alternatives)?

Failing that, is there anything I can paint onto the bare plastered walls before tiling (I know I would need to prime them anyway) to make them waterproof?

As usual, all suggestions gratefully received.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Tiling a shower enclosure
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2006, 2:44pm

Ideally you should replace the plasterboard with a tile backer board such as Aquapanel, Wedi Board or Hardibacker.

Either way you should then coat the backer board/ plasterboard with a tanking system. This is like a liquid rubber and also has reinforcement tape for any internal corners, board joints etc. Takes about 1hr to apply to a typical enclosure and you can tile straight onto it.

I tend to use the BAL WP1 kit which has all you need in the one box - primer, tape & sheet membrain and plenty of the liquid. Costs about £65.00 retail from any decent tile shop or your lacal Topps Tiles. Or Screwfix sell the Dunlop equivalent.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2006, 3:32pm

Jason,

Thanks for that.  I'll have a look at the BAL kit.  Don't want to start taking plasterboards out (you've no idea how long it took me to skim them in the first place!), so the tanking system sounds like the best bet.

Cheers.

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2006, 3:38pm

As it's skimmed plasterboard check the weight of 1 sq mtr of tiles and adhesive, skimmed walls should only take 20kg/m2, bare plasterboard 32kg/m2 and aquapanel 50kg/m2 but this comes down to 32kg if tanked. You would have been better off not skimming the walls both structurally and financially

A lot of the populat large format tiles at the moment and some natural stone can push you over the weight limit.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2006, 3:38pm

Hi That's the way I wanted to go but the kit, if I remember correctly, added more thickness to the wall than I had available. Best applied instead of plaster I think but someone will know definitley. Luckily TOPPS took it back. I had to fall back on a basic waterproofer also BAL I think.  All down to having a guy in who was a jack of all trades and had worked for a contractor [who was less than caring] since he left school. Smokey brickie though to give him his due.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2006, 3:53pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2006, 6:36pm

The tanking only adds about 1.0mm to the wall thickness, easily accomodated in the adhesive bed thickness.

And yes it is better to apply to bare plasterboard than a skimmed surface

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2006, 8:29pm

Quote:
The tanking only adds about 1.0mm to the wall thickness, easily accomodated in the adhesive bed thickness.

And yes it is better to apply to bare plasterboard than a skimmed surface

Jason
Curses the kit I got said about 6mm thickness and that I could not afford - had to get the dremel to the enclosure sides as it was.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2006, 1:24pm

Jason,

Thanks for the tips.  Isn't hindsight great!

As for the weight of the tiles, I'll be using 200x300mm 'Vitra Montana' tiles supplied by CTD in Newcastle (about the best tile shop I've found around here).  I assume they'll be a normal sort of weight for ceramic wall tiles and it should take just over 16 of them to cover 1m2.  This would allow each one to weigh just over 1kg each - would that be about normal?

Just called CTD to get a price for the BAL kit, but they don't keep it.  They told me their recommended equivalent product was a kit made by Webber(?spelling?)  This will cost £58.30 including VAT.  

Have you heard of this make before?  

Is the kit likely to be as good as the BAL one?

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2006, 5:22pm

Weight really depends on the tile thickness and density but as long as they are 10mm or less in thickness you should be OK

I have not used the Webber tanking but have used their adhesives & grout on occasion without any problems.

Just read their technical details sounds about the same as the BAl kit but you don't get as much tape and no sheet membrain.

Jason
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2006, 5:32pm by jasonB »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

pelesheroes
Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2006, 8:22am

Andy you are right about CTD mind you I was in at the weekend and picked up loads of leaflets about WEDI and all BAL products they are very informative, but it  seems daft issuing leaflets if they dont stock it. You might like to know Porcelonosa are opening a big showroom soon in Newburn, it's cracking stuff seen it in Alicante, brilliant showroom, we are doing a self build in Washington and my missus is saving up all her pennies. They have a place in Leeds but it's a bit shabby.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2006, 11:55pm

Cheers everyone!

Pelesheroes - I agree - I thought that CTD stocked all of BAL's stuff, but obviously not.  

Out of all the tile places around Newcastle I've tried over the past couple of years, they are by far the best.  I'll go in and ask what are probably stupid questions and they still don't take the piss!

Thanks for the tip on the new place in Newburn, although after I finish this bathroom I don't intend to go anywhere near any tile shops for a good few years!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print