Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:41pm
Quote: Half the people you know are below average.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Long? [Between Coats That is] (Read 2659 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

How Long? [Between Coats That is]
Sep 5th, 2006, 2:09pm

The tins (crown satin finish - not emulsion) says 16 hours before next coat.  Does it really need this long?

Nothing to do with my question but it makes you wonder how they do a do a makeover in two days or even less if this is the case.

Oh and while I am on - how do I keep a tin of part used paint (I overestimated but only by about 400%) and still have it useable?

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: How Long? [Between Coats That is]
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2006, 4:11pm

The Crown satin finish I assume is oil based, so I would give it the full sixteen hours to dry. If you put a second coat on and the first one isn't fully dry, you can be left with a 'crocodile effect'.

As for keeping paint in a part used tin, I always push the lid on securely and then invert it and jiggle it about before standing it upright.
The paint will make a seal round the lid stopping air getting in.

It's not the end of the world if the paint does skin up. Just get a flexible knife and run it round the edge of the tin and lift out a perfect circle of skin. It would have formed an airtight seal, so the paint should be in good order.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Re: How Long? [Between Coats That is]
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2006, 5:06pm

Many thanks Hamilton it is what I believed would be the answer. OH will have me getting up at 2-00 AM so that I can get the second coat on and be able to refit the panel before we go to see go to see relatives later in the day Roll Eyes

Yes it is oil based by the way.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print