Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:40am
Quote: There is no sense in being pessimistic. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
undeer tile heating (Read 3583 times)
scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

undeer tile heating
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:25pm

Have just fitted some electric under tile heating in a bathroom and was talking to tiler about how long to leave before switching it on.

he said a week minimum so I have said a month

but he said it should only be turned on twice a day for an hour or the adhesive becomes baked????????????

i thot this stuff was left on all the time

it is only a 150 watt with no backing board jujst onto ply as tech dept said i din't need a backing board with the 150 watt set

Cheers  Smiley

Scotspark

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Re: undeer tile heating
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2006, 12:13am

Hi Scotspark,

I have to say straight off I'm certainly no expert, but I've also recently installed underfloor heating in my bathroom.  Like you, it's only 150W as the room is tiny.  After reading the advice on here and elsewhere, I decided to put a layer of Aquapanel concrete sheets down on top of the floorboards first, and then bed the heating mat in BAL multibase (apparently, the concrete sheets help to reflect more of the heat upwards, rather than being absorbed straight into the floorboards and the multibase provides a totally flat base to lay the tiles on).

I certainly want to leave it on for more than a couple of hours a day - especially in the winter!  I've not seen any advice anywhere to say this will cause a problem with the adhesive (as long as you've used the flexible stuff).  If that was the case, it would be a pretty useless system!

Are you sure your tiler's used the correct adhesive and grout?

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2006, 10:17am

I always say a month before the (electric) UFH should be used, although the adhesive will set in a few hours (24 if not rapid set) it does not reach its full strength until 28days, infact the curve flattens out to almost full at that stage but it continues to harden over a much longer period.

There is no problem leaving the heating on for prolonged periods. Depending on what controller you use you can have a backgrounfd level that the floor will not drop below and a comfort level that can be set when you want.

I usually set bathrooms to come on 6.30-9.00 & 8.00-11.30, most customers seem happy with this and there is a boost button if they want extra heating in the day much like central heating controls.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2006, 6:43pm

We're about to lay stone over UFH and my builder told me today that I need to mention we have UFH to the stone supplier because the adhesive he supplies will be different for those areas. Not sure if it's different for tiles.

IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2006, 8:05pm

You need a flexible adhesive even if going onto a solid concrete/screed floor when using UFH to take up any expansion/contraction.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2006, 2:43pm

cheers

I spoke to the tec dept and she said no need for the backing boards if she had said they improved the performance I would have had them fitted instead of the ply the builders put down Angry Angry Angry

as the job is for my brother price isn't really an issue because of the saving he is making on labour Cry  Grin

tiles are down now and will leave for at least a month it is only for background heat as there is a towel rad on the central heating system in the bathroom.

not to sure if there is different levels of control but the digital stat/timeclock is outside the bathroom with a probe in the centre of the floor.

SS

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2006, 3:10pm

The thermal panels are not structural, you would have needed them in addition to the plywood, only really worth fitting on an uninsulated solid ground floor.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print