Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:12pm
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I NEED FEED BACK (Read 6134 times)
wernhamhere
GDPR opt-out

I NEED FEED BACK
Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:17am

Hello Lads,

I'm a friend of Ben Robinson, whose advice I've sort in asking you guys to give me some feed back and opinion on the following:

I'm setting up a new website (the name can’t be disclosed at the moment) which aims to give sound practical legal and commercial advice to tradesmen and contractors in both the construction and M&E Building Service industry's. The only thing I can say is that the website's motto is "a website created by subby's for subbys'"

My background is predominantly as a self employed M&E quantity surveyor but before I got involved in this, I was a draftsman, a tar-macker, a gardener, a chippy, a lorry driver, a barman and a sh*t stone mason for the council.

The aim of the site is to give subby's practical help, advice and support from like minded people on the day to day problems you'd encounter when working for contractors on building sites around the country, no matter what size the contract is.

The reason why I’ve set the site up is because I was sick of contractors getting away with subby bashing the people who actually do all of the work. Therefore, I’m a poacher turned game keeper.

The basic site will give its members insider information the contractors don't want subby's to know about, such as the dodgy stuff they include in contracts. We’ll tell you how to recognize it and what to do with it. We’ll also be giving advice on everything from pre-tender meetings, how to price, submit and agree variations, how to submit applications/invoices and what legal actions you can take for not being paid on time; right the way through to finalizing / signing off your works.

The website is packed with template letters and spread sheets, which the member will be able to down load and use when ever they want. We’ve also included a section called “HELP ME GET MY MONEY”, which tells you how you can recover outstanding payments, loss of interest as well as compensation. In this section, we take you through a visual step by step guide in how to fill out forms such as court documents to claim late payments back.

I'm also looking to use the site to lobby MP's about changing the current laws with regards to getting subby’s paid on time as well as trying to embarrass contractors into signing up to a fair payment policy for subby’s in general. I’m also looking to name and shame the contractors who subby bash people like you. For this to be successful subby’s would have to email me the evidence of what the contractor(s) are doing and I’d do the rest. Any subby’s details would be kept anonymous.

I'm looking to charge a yearly subscription of £260 (plus vat at the current rate) which sounds a lot, but when you consider the amount it would cost a subby to go to a solicitor to recover money or to employ a quantity surveyor for a single day (CURRENTLY BETWEEN £350 & £420 PER DAY), this figure is ridiculously cheep when you consider all the insider information you'd getting.

Having said the above, the site will include a free information section and useful links to websites that can also give help and advice.

What I’d like to know from guys, is the following:

1)      Would you pay for this information and if yes, how much?

2)      Do you think the amount I’m charging is too much or reasonable?

3)      Instead of paying a yearly amount, would you prefer to pay for things on an “as and when basis”?

4)      Can you give me some general feed back on what you think of the website idea?

5)      Can you suggest anything to include, that would make you want to join?

Ben has said I’ll get an honest response back, which is what I’m after.

If you could come back to me sooner rather than later, I'd appreciate it as I want to take the site live in about a month.

All the best

Al

[/right][/pre]
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:23am by wernhamhere »  

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: I NEED FEED BACK
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:32am

I think it is a good idea to consolidate all the info you have mentioned, some of what you are offering seems to be a niche (if I can call it that) some of it is stuff you can resolve/get answers to by simply Googling the subject. Some of what you are offering has been resolved by people getting answers in this very forum.

The one problem with charging an annual fee for your service is that most small 1 man band types (which includes me) will not need your services all year, just for the odd occasion when things go wrong (which is hopefully never!).
I am sure there will be people that are interested, especially when things pick up again and they are too busy to chase money etc. At the moment though there is not a lot of work and most people are not in a position to spend on a service they may not need. Then again there are people who make a living selling user manuals on eBay when 9 times out of 10 you can get them from the manufacturer for free.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope it all goes well. Who knows I may need your services one day!

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:24pm

I agree with Zambezi. The answers to pretty much all the issues you mention are available free from other tradesmen on the various forums, of which there are many!

One thing we've all learnt over the years is that it doesn't matter how many contract conditions you have with a contractor he'll still find a way to screw you.

There is already a site for 'naming and shaming'...

www.blagger.com

...but, again, we all learn in time that the people who screw you don't give a toss for any bad publicity that comes their way, they'll still laugh all the way to the bank to deposit their ill-gotten gains, part of which should have been coming your way!

I applaud your reasons for doing this, but you're charging a lot for what is after all only an insurance we may never need and which, moreover, is untested in the big wide world.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:32pm

I concur

seems a good idea but can't see many forking £20 a month for something they arent usingg all the time.

thats the prob wi the tinternet so much is available for free

I mean look at this site absolutely great (bit quiet of late ) but its free despite sombody having to do all the work and bear the costs.

are we due subs for upkeep SS??
it must be time for us to have another root into our pockets

Scotspark

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print