Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 9:44pm
Quote: They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening' - Then proceed to tell you why it isn't

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ceiling (Read 5562 times)
alfred
GDPR opt-out

ceiling
Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:53pm

the emulsion paint wont come off the ceiling all 267 square feet of it i scrape as much as i can but when i try to paint the scraped bits(with watered dowm emulsion the bits that wouldnt budge with the scraper come of onto the roller so it all has to come off  the guy in shop  said to try sugar soap mixed with plain flour into a paste which turned out to be about 10% efective i then tried a fairly heay  coating of black friars paint stripper which also turned out to be about 10% efective i,m running out of ideas please help

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: ceiling
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 8:58pm

Have you tried a streamer?
By the sounds of things the old paint is softening and coming away once the new (wet) paint is rolled on, which is why I suggested a steamer. It will "wet" the old paint and hopefully soften it enough for you to scrape off.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:22pm

And if you use paint stripper, make sure you clean the ceiling down well afterwards otherwise your new paint will bubble and peel.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

alfred
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:04pm

thanks for the advice but the ceiling is 8 feet up and the steamer i,ve got would take about 8 weeks to strip 267 square feet but keep the sugestions rolling in please

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:33pm

If you don't want to use a steamer then try a wet sponge to soak the paint prior to scraping. It would be worth a try to see if it works, if it does then figure out the quickest/most efficient way to do the rest.

Unfortunately there are no short-cuts to some jobs and it is normally the worst jobs... I am busy pointing exterior walls 20' up at the moment, do you want to swap?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:35pm by zambezi »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2009, 3:56pm

Desperate situation call for desperate means. Try hiring one of these...

http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/oos/drysteamcleaners/550200.html

...and tarp the floor.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2009, 11:46am

Quote:
thanks for the advice but the ceiling is 8 feet up and the steamer i,ve got would take about 8 weeks to strip 267 square feet but keep the sugestions rolling in please

Well you clearly don't want to do it properly if it involves hard work, so why don't you just pay someone else to do it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print