Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:07pm
Quote: A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fox F60-105 Spindle Moulder (Read 24519 times)
Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Fox F60-105 Spindle Moulder
Aug 11th, 2009, 9:54pm

It came today. After the total disaster with the Woodstar I gave it a real test with the cutters I sometimes use on meeting bars on casement windows - two 17o cuts offset by 5mm - and it did it a treat. Standard 40mm x 30mm eurobloc hit full speed within a microsecond of hitting the button and never faltered to give a smooth chatterless cut.

It's actually a VERY good deal from Toolsave at £100 below anyone else and very strongly made. Well designed with sensible layout of controls and a spindle lock for changing the cutters. Comes with a vast range of spacers/shims; the extraction is excellent; the motor smooth and the range of three speeds is all you'll need.

I'm awaiting delivery of a fitment for the spindle that turns it into a router which, if it's as good as the rest of the machine will make it a very good piece of kit indeed.

I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, anyone want to buy a Rojek spindle moulder in good nick? I'll put it on eBay tomorrow.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Re: Fox F60-105 Spindle Moulder
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2009, 11:00pm

More than happy with my Original LARGE Kity Gear... (when it was Italian made, not frog, and well before the NAF boys bought it!)  the spindle moulder is still in a class of its own...
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009, 11:00pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2009, 6:43am

I wish I had more space so I could have another spindle moulder, if you have the space is it not worth hanging onto the Rojek?

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2009, 9:11am

I could, but it would probably just sit there gathering dust. I suspect it will be doing that anyway because it's such a heavy thing that whoever bought it would have to collect it, or pay me to shift it.

This Fox is a really good little machine. I'm well impressed. Unlike a mate of mine (Des Beard at Crow Joinery in Telford, know him Keith?) who does a lot of conservation work on shop fronts, the only reason I need a spindle moulder is for those times when it's a case of "I could really do with a spindle moulder for this", otherwise all other moulding can be handled by my router table.

Working mainly on old buildings the problem is matching existing mouldings, when of course the only way that can be done nowadays is to have cutters made and, because no one makes bespoke cutters for routers, that means having them made for the spindle moulder. They're not usually of any size that couldn't be handled by a table-mounted router, which is where this Fox will be so handy, doubling as a router table. (I hasten to add that on the basis of yesterday's trial it earns the name of spindle moulder, being a substantial machine with no apparent shortcomings.) If the router adaptor works (and it should come today) then it will spend most of its life working as a router table and I suspect will oust the current table from its position in the workshop. I'll make a space for the current table by taking out a section of the bench that runs around two sides of the workshop because it's good to have such machines easily to hand.

The Rojek might as well go to a good home that will keep it occupied. I'll put it on eBay with no reserve so it might go.

Always a toss up as to what machines to give space to. I always got my doors and table tops sanded flat by a guy over in Cradley, but when he vanished I was scuppered. I bought a flat bed sander off eBay which spends most of its time doing nothing, although you can tilt the head for linishing, but it's just nice to know it's there when I want it. I bought that off a guy over Coventry way who was retiring (having won a pile on the lottery). It was at £127 when I first put a watch on it, but when I put my £350 bid on three minutes from the end the other bidder was frantically trying to increase his bid incrementally (fool!) and I got it for £310. A good buy though - IF you've got the space.

Seriously though Keith, have a look at that Fox (on the Toolsave site, they're a lot cheaper) because it doesn't take up a lot of space.

And Wolfie, my mate (electrician, not a chippy - just likes messing with wood) has got a Kity universal machine. Brilliant little machine that does the lot. He bought it off a mate of his for £200 some years ago. No bigger than a medium size table saw yet it does anything and everything.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2009, 3:02pm

Blimey - Cradley ....as in Malvern Cradley or Cradley Heath as in B'rum?  If the former, curious to know who it was. Ridgway Joinery? Haven't been in to see them for a while now and would be sad if they have gone.  You could have come and had a cuppa.

What's wrong with the Rojek?
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009, 3:02pm by londonman »  

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2009, 5:59pm

Joiner if I had the money and the space I would definately have two spindles, but I'm short on both Roll Eyes

My spindle runs router bits but I have to change the spindle itself to fit them. This is a bit of a pain, so I tend not to use them in the SM unless they are too big to run properly in the router table. Swapping the spindle means that they run at 14000rpm, which is a big advantage. I see the Fox only goes up to 6500rpm which is going to be too slow for most cutters. It is a good price though for what you get.

Oh and I never go to Telford, we simple country folk think Telford is Sodom and Gomorrah Grin

And I  can definately see the advantages of a drum sander, I have wanted one for a while but it will have to wait for funds and space Sad
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009, 6:04pm by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2009, 7:38pm

Actually, the published gen is misleading. The Fox has three speeds, 4, 6, and 8,000. I was concerned about running router cutters at half to a third of a normal router's up-to 23K, but a trial run at 8K with the edge-bead cutter worked a treat, with a nice smooth cut.

Now here comes the but...

The router adaptor is a very clever 1/2" fitment that screws into the top of the spindle, and therein lies the problem. Even with the spindle lowered to its lowest setting the cutter is 30mm above the table!

Solution...

Machined some oak down to 30mm and slotted it to take two M8 bolts and a washer to pick up on the two threaded holes in the table. There's a radiused relief on the underside to clear the shoulder of the router adaptor. Took about half an hour to knock up.

Not ideal because you'd have to do the same on the sliding table to get the full Monty, although I wouldn't bother because at these speeds scribing might be 'problematic'. Not that I'm going to find out because I'm not going to use this as a full-on router table, just as a back-up for moulding bead and the like.

But to go back to the beginning, as a spindle moulder it's well worth the money, which makes it a virtual gift to yourself.

Sorry Keith, had to laugh. How much did you say the service was on the Audi TT?? Grin Grin

And LM, it's the West Midland Cradley. Alan somebody. Nice bloke, ashamed I can't remember his name, but he retired to his caravan in north Wales about four years ago.

And Keith, this is the sander...

Looks a bit sad with the tension off the belt. The rod on top is the handle that screws into the sliding pad (the 'tilted' thingie at the left hand end just above the belt) that brings the belt into contact with the work. Adjusting the height of the table at the same time, it's a bit like patting the top of your head whilst making a circular motion on your stomach! As you can see, this part of the workshop is the timber store, although I've yet to put in the racks on the side in view because the roof was only fixed a couple of months ago. Putting in a few plugs and lights is this winter's project, which means it'll be finished around this time next year.

And nothing's wrong with the Rojek, it's just surplus to requirements now. It goes or it doesn't. Either way I won't be sad. Smiley

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140339448075
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009, 8:55pm by Joiner »  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2009, 11:55pm

just looked at your flea bay ad , you don't know the guys at Phoenix trailers do you????

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:15am

Never heard of them, Wolfie.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:17am

you know Bridgnorth well then....LOL!!!! Grin

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2009, 6:09pm

Obviously not that well! How big do you think the place is, and how many businesses do you think are located here? I could only name you a handful out of the couple of hundred on the various industrial estates round about. And they come and go like the seasons.

I don't suppose Phoenix Trailers have heard of me, either. Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2009, 7:09pm by Joiner »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:11pm

Any of you lot taking the psis and posting daft questions on that eBay listing?

If not, I can't believe what some people want to know! Huh Huh

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:14pm

Someone wants sawdust in it Roll Eyes I'd give them sawdust Grin

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:21pm

It's that bloody Zambezi. Wait 'til I catch you, you little scamp!

Took me a few seconds to recognise the 'xtxltd' bit.

But a good one. Bit late for April Fool's, but I'll let you have it. Grin Grin

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2009, 7:42pm

talking off sawdust what does everyone else do with there sawdust
i used to get rid off it to people with chickens and pets
but most want to go for sterile sawdust now
next they will be serving gourmay carrots  Undecided

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #15 - Aug 13th, 2009, 8:28pm

Local garage in the village, Al, get's me a few small favours done.

Some butchers will also take it off your hands for a couple of steaks, but some don't like it too fine, preferring the shavings off the planer.

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #16 - Aug 13th, 2009, 9:14pm

LOL  Smiley Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print