Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:31am
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High pressure taps v's low pressure taps (Read 12550 times)
PatPending
GDPR opt-out

High pressure taps v's low pressure taps
May 4th, 2010, 5:32pm

I have seen some taps listed as 'high pressure'.  I have a low pressure gravity system.  

Can these taps be used on a low pressure system or does some aspect of their design preclude their use?

Or do they have something special that is required specifically for high pressure systems but would not prevent low pressure system use?

Also, as I have a pump serving one shower does this one shower require a high pressure tap?

Kind of ambiguous, I know but thought it worth checking.

thx

Pat

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: High pressure taps v's low pressure taps
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2010, 12:20am

You may get a dribble from the taps if you use high pressure type.;

If the shower is pumped then it's classed as high pressure.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2010, 11:16am

'Dribble' may be a tad OTT but also could be a dribble. Depends how high up your tank is relative to your taps. We have a low gravity feed (ie tank in the loft) but because most decent stylish taps are low-pressure have gone for those.  The flow downstairs in the kitchen is OK-ish. It doesn't gush and splash all over the place. But having said that I have a couple going into the upstairs bathroom and as I have a shower pump going in as well I may well use it to feed the water to the taps as I suspect that the flow will be too low.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2010, 4:43pm

Probably the worse taps to choose for a low pressure gravity system are quarter turn ceramic cartridge mixer taps that are designed for a single hole in the basin. To get the pipes through that hole flexible hoses are normally used and the internal bore can be very small. Have a look at examples in the DIY stores. Also take a look at the hole in a ceramic cartridge, even fully open less than half the area is available...

The best type are probably the old fashioned victorian bulbous taps that use a traditional washer. The bulbous shape was designed to allow plenty of area for the water to flow through when the washer is lifted off it's seat. They were that shape for practical reasons.

For a a low pressure gravity system choose taps that say they only need 0.1-0.2 bar (= 1-2 meters of head).  If they are modern quarter turn ceramic types check you can take them back if they don't perform as expected.

Aside: Actually it's a bit meaningless to say a tap needs 0.1 or 0.2 bar. That's like saying a light bulb needs 240 Volts when you also need to know how bright it is to compare it with other bulbs properly. Ideally the specification for a tap should say something like "This tap will deliver XYZ Liters of water per min when connected to a 0.2 bar source".
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2010, 4:45pm by CWatters »  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2010, 6:07pm

CWatters wrote on May 7th, 2010, 4:43pm:
Aside: Actually it's a bit meaningless to say a tap needs 0.1 or 0.2 bar. That's like saying a light bulb needs 240 Volts when you also need to know how bright it is to compare it with other bulbs properly. Ideally the specification for a tap should say something like "This tap will deliver XYZ Liters of water per min when connected to a 0.2 bar source".

Now that is one of the most brilliant ideas - take a Karma.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print