Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:43pm
Quote: Alcohol and mathmatics do not mix. Never drink and divide.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A new invention to help sawing - Please help (Read 7248 times)
simon joy
GDPR opt-out

A new invention to help sawing - Please help
May 23rd, 2010, 3:29pm

Hello All
Like many of us i came up with an idea, and i decided to give it a go.  I have had the technical drawings done, the worldwide patent is being applied for, and the prototypes have been made in China and i have tested these to ensure they work. You do not want to know how much this has cost already!!! But before i spend the last of my money, I NEED YOUR HELP.
I need to know what you think of this idea, please have a look at the link

http://www.testing.flashpimp.co.uk/images/Chosen-Concept-Option-3.png

and this will explain a little. Nothing has been made yet, so you cannot buy but i need to know your thoughts, to see if you think it is a good idea.
The item is called SAWSAFE and it is to offer your fingers protection as you align the blade when you start to saw a new cut as well as being able to use this to mark the line and any angle you wish to cut, with a hand saw or a jigsaw etc.
Please let me know what you think, email simonjoy35@gmail.com and if you want to see more pictures please let me know
THANK YOU for your help

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: A new invention to help sawing - Please help
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2010, 4:41pm

I'm not trade but I can't say I'd rush out to buy one. If I'm doing a lot of angled cuts I would get the powered mitre saw out. Invariably when doing a lot of hand sawing I find myself looking around for where I've put the pencil, the tape measure and the saw. I'm afraid it would be one more thing to find before I can make the cut. Many saws have 90 and 45 degree flats on the handle (although not all are accurate) so they can be used to mark up those angles without needing to find a square.

What's your next step? Presumably the Chineese have some kind of minimium order quantity? I hope it's not a container load as that would be an awful lot. I would suggest you try and approach distributors to see if you can get enough small trial orders together to put in a minimium order to China. I would avoid distributors wanting to give you a big "sale or return" order at this stage just in case.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2010, 9:33pm

It has one basic yet major fault that renders it next to useless - needing to put your palm pressure on the fixture to hold it in place the only thing(s) holding the wood steady is/are the ends of your fingers wrapped over the edge of the wood beyond the lip of the tool.

As a joiner of a lot of years experience, I can tell you that you NEED to have all the pressure holding the wood that your fingers can impart PLUS what friction there is between your palm and the wood.

This 'tool' is a liability and a lot of guys will be queuing up to tell you that.

Sorry. Cut your losses.

IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2010, 9:54pm

I have to be honest and say that I'd simply stick to an adjustable square and pencil/knife mark.

I would personally rather use my thumb/fingers as a reference/starting point for a cut, much like a chef would with a knife chopping veg. It allows you better "feeling" and control of the cut and what's going on with the wood underneath. 25yrs+ and I still have all my fingers to show that if you're careful, you don't have to loose them with joinery.

However, on a more constructive note, have you thought of an option for us south-paws? ie a left handed option?

Sorry to put a dampener on your idea, but I would guestimate that you're looking at an occasional DIY'er or someone who likes gadgets.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010, 9:57pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

NickW
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2010, 3:09pm

I can't see it lasting more than a few minutes, the set on the teeth will ensure that the reference face gets ripped to shreds on the first cut.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2010, 6:00pm

Quote:
... the set on the teeth...

Which raises a related issue - which bit of the blade is meant to press against the guide? If you try and press the whole blade against it the set of the teeth will cause the cut to steer away from the guide. On the other hand if you are using a tennon saw...
..the top is wider that the set of the teeth so that would tend to make the cut curve towards the guide. Seems to me it would only work well with a panel saw with minimal set?

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2010, 8:27pm

he has posted a simmilar thread on several forums
the only difference here its has the bit about feed back added
if he dosnt come back within a few days to comments on the replies you have taken the time to post i will remove thread as it will turn into purely publicity then Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2010, 12:08pm

May 24th the last post  Grin

Anyway Nobex already do something similar

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2010, 11:42pm

If a saw hasn't got an electric motor of some sort, I won't use it.  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print