Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:36pm
Quote: One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him - Jeffrey Bernard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your opinions on paint manufacturers please... (Read 4726 times)
AndyOlds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Whitley bay, United Kingdom
Whitley bay
United Kingdom

Your opinions on paint manufacturers please...
Jul 16th, 2010, 11:41am

Hi,

We're about to get a local decorator in to do our hall, stairs, landing etc.  He'll be painting the walls, ceilings and all woodwork.  The plan is that he'll supply the paint for the ceilings and woodwork, but we'll get the paint for the walls.

We've done all our own decorating (very successfully) in the past but having a two-year-old son now limits the time we can spend on this sort of thing pretty drastically!  As a result, we're getting the guy to come in while we're on holiday.

Anyway, I've always used Johnstones paint in the past for walls (and Macpherson before that) and found it to be very good.  I've used their vinyl silk and eggshell and think it covers well and is easy to apply.  Our decorator seems to prefer Dulux paint though - which I've always assumed was overpriced (and not as good quality) due to having a more widely recognised brand.

Am I out of date with my thinking or - in your opinions - is Johnstones still the better bet?  I realise this is a fairly subjective thing and will vary from person to person, but I'd like to know if I'd be sensible to let the guy use the paint he seems to prefer, rather than buying the stuff I know to be good from my own experience.

Over to you....

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Gavona
Re: Your opinions on paint manufacturers please...
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2010, 8:59pm

Have you seen this chap's work?  I just used a decorator for similar task and he did not live up to the quality standards that I would set myself...  

If you insist he uses your paint he can blame any difficulties on that.  He probably knows how to apply his brand perfectly.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2010, 10:31am

I am not a fan of Dulux paint and only use it if the customer specifically asks for it.
Everybody has their favourites and most paint merchants are tied in to 1 or 2 brands, so don't offer the decorator all the brands, so he will go with what they have in stock.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2011, 1:10pm

Gents,
Sorry to jump in here but I need advice on what would be the best paint/brand to use on a hardwood front door.

It'll be high gloss (I think).

The door is sepele and has had a coat of Stokes aluminium primer.
What's the best brand type of undercoat and final coat.

I've no idea about eco paints/water-based acrylic paints but would prefer oil-based gloss enamel types if this is what you guys recommend.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2011, 11:34pm

painting hard wood, hangs his head in shame...... Undecided

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2011, 1:06am

Not me mate - It's the missuss, and she's paying for it!

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print