Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:48am
Quote: 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problems with Farrow and Ball Estate Eggshell (Read 34212 times)
zsogabi
GDPR opt-out

problems with Farrow and Ball Estate Eggshell
Aug 22nd, 2010, 8:00pm

Shocked Hi Everyone,

I am a painter for 25 years but I never had such an experience with a woodwork paint. I painted a built in shelving unit in the playroom with Farrow and Ball "off white" Estate Eggshell which is now water based as they are not making the oil based paint for woodwork any more.
It was not bad to work with but not good either, I did not like it though, it did not seem like a serious woodwork paint to me.
The nightmare started when I sanded it after first coat and it changed to a yellow-green on the sanded areas. Well, I applied the second coat anyway and I told the customer that I do not like the way this paint behaves, but she is absolutely convinced that F&B paints are the best ever.
The biggest problem is that the same thing happened to the shelves when they started using them, the paint is simply changing its color when exposed to the tiniest abrasion. I think this water based formula is too soft, even after 3 weeks it is dry but it is not hard, like you would still expect it to set, but how long would you have to wait then before you use a freshly painted area?  
She has 2 chairs painted in the same F&B color and they do not have the same reaction to abrasion, probably that was the oil based formula. She also has other woodwork in the house painted with F&B with no problems and now she thinks it is my fault.
Has anyone experienced any similar problems? I am very upset because she is keeping my money until the company will analyze the case, when I know for sure that there is no way that this is my fault.
Please give me some opinions about this, I have never had any problems with woodwork, I always used the best paints and did the best quality work and now I am blamed for a faulty paint.  

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: problems with Farrow and Ball Estate Eggshell
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2010, 10:54pm

1) what finish was originally on the shelves you painted...??

2) did you check to see if the can has an expiry date... some do now....

3) never found F & B to be any good actually.......

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2010, 8:18am

zsogabi - I second Wolfie's suspicions concerning the previous paint coat AND his opinion on F&B, but then I've had some crap experiences with all the "new" formulation, let-the-wood-breathe-fad paints. Osmo is another such that I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole-mounted paint brush, although both F&B and Osmo have their fans.

As to your experience with the CUSTOMER... We've all been there and, annoying as it is, they have a point. Until F&B technical get back to you then you're in the frame. Rather than upset them by arguing the point, you'd be advised to sit down and explain what you've explained to us (if you haven't already done that) and ask them not to go putting the word around about what's happened but to give you, on the basis of 25 year's experience in the trade, the benefit of the doubt.

My son-in-law is a painter and decorator and last year had a similar experience, only his was the size of a school gymnasium and involved Dulux. He had at least been paid for the job and the paint had reacted a few weeks after application. To give Dulux their due they pulled out all the stops and had a technical guy out there the day after he'd phoned them. They agreed a faulty batch of paint and paid for the strip and re-paint, at considerable cost. They also wrote a letter to the school to apologise and accepting full liability. That's the way to keep painters and decorators on-side!

Hope it goes as well for you.

What do you reckon Hammy?

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2010, 6:17am

I agree with the others regarding what the previous paint was.  However I don't agree with them regarding F&B paint which we rate highly above all other makes. We particularly like the new formulation!  But you do have to follow their instructions to the letter.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2010, 2:52pm

I have a kitchen painted in F&B ball green eggshell. Half was sprayed(?) on by the manufacturer and the other half I did myself with a roller and brush. After three years it's standing up well to having tins and jars dragged off shelves. Only one spot has worn on the fridge.

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2010, 3:49pm

Bit late here, but I should say that I have only used F&B once and that was in my kitchen. It is eggshell and I painted the walls with it. It went on nicely and is holding up to steam, grease and all sorts. It was the oil based paint I think.

As in all these types of queries, you really have to go on site and see for yourself.
I don't have an answer to it to be honest.

How was the existing surface prepared?
Was it greasy?
Was it washed?
Is it bleeding through into the F&B?
If so was it blocked with a sealer?

I do know that since paint has had to comply with the new regulations on the amount of VOCs that it now takes a lot longer to dry and usually dries to a sheen.

It's probably worth mentioning that because it takes longer to dry, when you rub it down it can 'tear' through  the paint.

What colour was the existing paint and the new paint Z?

Can't really be of more help. Sorry.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2010, 10:43am

Since posting the above I've had a look ar the bit that's worn on our fridge. It's behind a door handle so I'd assumed it was caused by one of us opening the door with cutlery in our hands or something.

On closer inspection the paint in that area has a slightly soft latex feel to it rather than the harder finish it has elsewhere.  

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2010, 10:32pm

I have been talking to a few decorators, and they all say the same.
Since the new regs came in the paint, including undercoats dries to a shine and remains soft for ages.

I did the woodwork on a staircase recently with Johnstones Satin finish and it was almost glossy. It did settle down to a mid sheen but it took quite a few days.

And rubbing down between coats  was difficult because the paint was not fully hard.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2010, 10:36pm

that is exactly the problem we are having at the refurb we are doing... paintwork is taking an age to dry enough to de-nib ready for glossing etc... its being a nightmare..... Angry Angry Angry

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Gregshell
Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2011, 9:49am

I have been painting since I was seventeen and I am now fifty two. In all that time I have only met three painters who like Farrow and Ball.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

marvinPwildebeeste
Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2011, 9:14pm

I've been decorating for 16 years & have met one decorator that likes to use it, because he doesn't like the smell of oil based paints...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print